The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Making a Withdrawn Motion Again

Guest Etan

I recently came across this question in a parliamentary procedure test.

After a motion has been withdrawn, the same motion:

A. Can be made the immediate pending question again by the 

member who originally proposed the motion

B. Can be made again at the same meeting if the original maker approves by seconding it.

C. Cannot be made again at the same meeting.

D. Can be made again at the same meeting.

The correct answer was marked D. Can anyone verify this or explain why? I had thought that once a motion was made in a particular meeting, it could not be made in that same meeting unless the issue had somehow changed or new information had come about, which was not specified in the question or the answer.

Thanks and I'm glad a found a forum like this.

- Etan

I recently came across this question in a parliamentary procedure test.

After a motion has been withdrawn, the same motion:

A. Can be made the immediate pending question again by the 
member who originally proposed the motion
B. Can be made again at the same meeting if the original maker approves by seconding it.
C. Cannot be made again at the same meeting.
D. Can be made again at the same meeting.

The correct answer was marked D. Can anyone verify this or explain why? I had thought that once a motion was made in a particular meeting, it could not be made in that same meeting unless the issue had somehow changed or new information had come about, which was not specified in the question or the answer.

Thanks and I'm glad a found a forum like this.

- Etan

Take a look at RONR, 11th ed., page 297. lines 24-26

Thank you for the quick response. I don't have a copy of Robert's Rules (I take out an older edition from the library occasionally). If it is not too long of an explanation, could you quote it. If it is too long or too much trouble, I understand and thank you for your help.

"After a motion has been withdrawn, the situation is as though it had never been made; therefore, the same motion can be made again at the same meeting."  (RONR, 11th ed., p. 297. ll. 24-26)

Get yourself a copy of the book. There's no sense in trying to learn anything about parliamentary procedure without it.

Thank you and I agree. I'll probably end up ordering the CD version.

Etan, the CD version is great to have if you use it a lot.  I have it and use if often, but mostly just for copying and pasting.  It has a good search engine, but I'm having great difficulty learning how to use it.  It's not very intuitive.

I  STRONGLY suggest that you also get the paperback (or hardback) version, too.  If you can't afford both, get the book unless you are of a much younger generation and never ever use books but do everything via a tablet or laptop.  I find it much more convenient to tote the book around....and to use it for quick research, too.  It's only $12.34 or thereabouts from Amazon.  Keep in mind the CD is available only for PC's,too... there isn't a version for MAC.

Also Etan as Mr Brown has suggested, there is no version for a MAC.  If you had a MAC you could always download a emulator program, but then you also need to get the Windows OS on your computer. I was not so successful.. This does have me cleaning off my desk finally to get to that PC I have sitting next to the MAC under a pile of papers, All that doesn't really have anything to do with parliamentary procedure so let me not go so far and incur the Wrath.
Bottom line from my limited us of the CD Rom, I have to fully concur with Mr Brown's assessment of it.   

Also, doesn't the CD Rom not have page number etc? I need to finish cleaning my desk and crank up my PC and use it fully...but I recall at the very least having a hard time during some cursory usages on my friend's laptop to not really see how you could use it to cite things. So I think you need a copy of Robert's to match up the page numbers etc. Mr Brown or anybody else that has used the CD Rom much can you clarify?  I have it because I have a LOT of need for copying and pasting, I have just been up to my ears in other matters and then the "obligatory" procrastinating that typing out the citation for my organizations disagreements has been the shorter method from a time standpoint.

Also, you mentioned using an older version of Robert's from the Library. I stand to be corrected by this statement by the more knowledgeable members of this forum. Unless your organization specifically lays out as its Parliamentary Authority a version of Robert's than RONR 11th Ed, it's about as useful as a paperweight.  I will go out on a limb without having hardly any first hand familiarity with other versions of Robert's, on this matter you asked about, it would probably have given you the right answer, but then how do you reference that specific passage to end "the argument"?  If you quote the Roberts 10th Ed. even if it has the right answer, someone can just say(assuming  the 11th ed is your correct PA), that is not our Parliamentary Authority, and there isn't much you can do to counter that, except pull out the right book.

The main point is, if you are going to be part of a deliberative body that uses RONR 11th Ed as it's Parliamentary Authority you SHOULD have a paper copy of it.   But from my standpoint, I MUST have a copy of it if I am going to be effective.  Once everyone in your organization actually gets a copy and starts using it extensively to beat each other about the head with, some of it will start to sink in and people will start to "understand the language" better and get on the same page a little better.

And finally, you're taking tests and you don't have the book? What was this test for? Is it a basic membership exam? DUDE..
Buy the book! The right one!

Also, doesn't the CD Rom not have page number etc? I need to finish cleaning my desk and crank up my PC and use it fully...but I recall at the very least having a hard time during some cursory usages on my friend's laptop to not really see how you could use it to cite things. So I think you need a copy of Robert's to match up the page numbers etc. Mr Brown or anybody else that has used the CD Rom much can you clarify?  I have it because I have a LOT of need for copying and pasting, I have just been up to my ears in other matters and then the "obligatory" procrastinating that typing out the citation for my organizations disagreements has been the shorter method from a time standpoint.

The CD ROM indicates the number of the page in the book which is being shown, but not the line numbers within that page.

Also Etan as Mr Brown has suggested, there is no version for a MAC.  If you had a MAC you could always download a emulator program, but then you also need to get the Windows OS on your computer. I was not so successful.. This does have me cleaning off my desk finally to get to that PC I have sitting next to the MAC under a pile of papers, All that doesn't really have anything to do with parliamentary procedure so let me not go so far and incur the Wrath.

Bottom line from my limited us of the CD Rom, I have to fully concur with Mr Brown's assessment of it.    

I must admit that I purchased vmware fusion and a copy of windows 7 so that I could run the cd version of RONR 11th on my Macbook. It works perfectly, but is not the most cost effective solution! (I tried to justify this by the need to run some other programs on windows, but I only ever boot up vmware to use RONR 11th cdrom, so ....)

Archived