The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Write-in candidate vs nominee

Guest Lou

An organization to which I belong is imploding. However, it seems that many of the current members of the board who are up for re-election are allowing their names to stand, despite the lack of confidence the general membership has in their abilities to run what's left of the organization.

Nominations from the floor are permitted, provided prior written consent of the nominee is obtained.

Write-in candidates are also permitted (at least, there's nothing in the bylaws that precludes them).

My question is: Are write-in candidates the same as a nomination from the floor -- i.e. would the "prior written consent" for a nomination from the floor also be required for a write-in candidate, or are the two creatures distinct in RONR?

The two "creatures" are distinct in RONR.

Write in candidates must be permitted unless your bylaws prevent or restrict them.  No prior consent of the person being "written in" is necessary, although it's probably a good idea.  If someone is elected by means of write-in votes, he has an opportunity to decline the position upon being notified that he has won.

Advance permission of floor nominees is not required, either, unless your own rules or bylaws require it.  Apparently your rules do require it.

The two "creatures" are distinct in RONR.

Write in candidates must be permitted unless your bylaws prevent or restrict them.  No prior consent of the person being "written in" is necessary, although it's probably a good idea.  If someone is elected by means of write-in votes, he has an opportunity to decline the position upon being notified that he has won.

Advance permission of floor nominees is not required, either, unless your own rules or bylaws require it.  Apparently your rules do require it.

Yes, our rules appear to require it.

Thank you. You've been very helpful.

Archived