The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rules for Presiding

Robert B Fish

Perhaps (read: likely) I've missed it but where does it say that the chairman has, among his obligations, the responsibility to preside fairly.  

You may have seen the video from Congress in which the member presiding blatantly wrongly calls the outcome of a vote and follows that up with further 'mis-calls.' Click here.  

In RONR, the chairman's duties [page 450, item 8] and the procedures for handling a point of order [page 254], both omit any statement that the chairman is obligated to honestly rule on a point of order.  

I have seen several chairmen, sensing perhaps they could overcome a point of order and appeal, rule that procedures, rules and precedents are the way they would like them to be rather than the way they know they are.

I have seen some parliamentarians, sensing their obligation to serve as an adviser (read: counselor) to the chairman, will render opinions arguing for the chairman's position, rather than the position they might know is correct per RONR.  

I note that in a large assembly, especially if general goodwill exists toward the chairman, it's difficult to convince the assembly that both the chairman and parliamentarian are incorrect on an issue.

I know that RONR says members cannot complain about rulings from the chair unless they appeal. [page 256].

But, what obligation does the chairman have to preside fairly?

-Bob

" . . . he should be fair." (p.456).

That provision in RONR seems to say it pretty well.

Perhaps those chairmen who have made rulings which some think are "unfair" or incorrect are, in the view of the chairman, "the fair thing to do under all of the circumstances" and in the best interests of the society.   

Then again, maybe they just like having things their way.  Power does have a way of changing people.  :)

Edited to add:  I agree that the video is rather appalling.  Not that it hasn't happened before.

It certainly should not be necessary for RONR to say that a presiding officer should be fair, but, in fact, it does say (on p. 343) that "The chair should always be courteous and fair, but at the same time he should be firm in protecting the assembly from imposition."

And perhaps the entire paragraph on page 456 is worth quoting:

"While a commanding presence and knowledge are essential in procedural matters, the president of an ordinary deliberative assembly, especially a large one, should, of all the members, have the least to say upon the substance of pending questions. While providing strong leadership, he should be fair. He should never get excited; he should never be unjust to even the most troublesome member, or take advantage of such member's lack of knowledge of parliamentary law, even though a temporary good might be accomplished thereby. The president should never be technical or more strict than is necessary for the good of the meeting. Good judgment is essential; the assembly may be of such a nature, through its unfamiliarity with parliamentary usage and its peaceable disposition, that strict enforcement of the rules, instead of assisting, would greatly hinder business. But in large assemblies where there is much work to be done, and especially where there is likelihood of trouble, the only safe course is to require a strict observance of the rules."

What more do you want?

Archived