The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Church bylaws limited and refer to follow RR

AiC212

Hello, I need some guidance as I cannot understand it myself from reading the information. I have 2 questions.

1. If someone was brought up to fill a position and required a 2/3 vote for nomination, which they did not get, are they eligible to be brought up in the future for nomination? I do not know if it is relevant or not, but many voting members were not able to be present for the vote and are upset that they did not get to vote.

2. When electing a pulpit committee, which is done by written vote by members listing names of 5-7 people, can the committee have 2 members from the same family, such as father and daughter?

Hello, I need some guidance as I cannot understand it myself from reading the information. I have 2 questions.

1. If someone was brought up to fill a position and required a 2/3 vote for nomination, which they did not get, are they eligible to be brought up in the future for nomination? I do not know if it is relevant or not, but many voting members were not able to be present for the vote and are upset that they did not get to vote.

2. When electing a pulpit committee, which is done by written vote by members listing names of 5-7 people, can the committee have 2 members from the same family, such as father and daughter?

1) The 2/3 vote for nomination must be one of your church's rules, because it's not in RONR, however, no rule in RONR would prohibit them from being brought up for a vote in the future.

2) Yes.  RONR contains no prohibition against it.

I appreciate everyone's input, church bylaws, especially ones that are extremely outdated (like in 40+ years) is one problem, but I can read and understand them. But when it states that we are to follow Robert's Rules, that's another story! If that is what I am to follow, then that what I will follow (with your help), as I am finding some interpret them to say what they want them to say. Thanks for all the knowledge you have shared and I am sure you will be hearing more from me. Something else that just came to mind, is our homebound members and snowbirds. They are upset that they did not get the opportunity to vote, as I feel they should have, since they are still active in their church membership. Might there be anything in the rules regarding this issue, that maybe I should bring up at the next meeting.

Something else that just came to mind, is our homebound members and snowbirds. They are upset that they did not get the opportunity to vote, as I feel they should have, since they are still active in their church membership. Might there be anything in the rules regarding this issue, that maybe I should bring up at the next meeting.

RONR prohibits absentee voting but some organizations permit it (you'll need to amend your bylaws). You might also consider allowing voting by proxy. Again, it's prohibited by RONR but your bylaws supersede ("override") RONR. Just make sure you dot all the tees and cross all the eyes.

I appreciate everyone's input, ... But when it states that we are to follow Robert's Rules, that's another story!

The "big book"  --  RONR --  can be a bit intimidating;  may I suggest  RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening. Get both RONRIB and RONR (scroll down) at this link. Or in your local bookstore. (You should be so lucky...)

Maybe get a copy for your presiding officer, by whatever title he/she is known in the church context - Moderator, Deacon, or something else.  And the Pastor, too!

Archived