The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a committee approve funding?

Guest Sandy

Our by-laws indicate:  "Approval of and funding for special projects deemed necessary by the BOD (Board of Directors) must be voted upon and approved at a regularly scheduled membership meeting." 

Here's what has been happening.  We have a construction committee that is managing ongoing construction projects.  The Construction Committee brings funding requests to the President.  The President appointed a Finance Committee to vote to approve/disapprove funding.  Shouldn't the approval of the funding come from the membership (i.e. BOD) rather than just the Finance Committee?

The answer to your question would appear to depend upon whether or not these "ongoing construction projects" are "special projects deemed necessary by the BOD" within the meaning of the quoted bylaw provision, and if so, whether or not funding has already been approved. We have no way of knowing the answers to these questions. They won't be found in RONR.

It's unlikely the president has the power to establish new committees.  Check your bylaws.  The power to "appoint" committees just means naming who is on them, not creating new ones, and certainly not giving them the power to spend money.

The membership can, if it wishes, create a Finance Committee to make recommendations, but not to have actual authority to approve things.  That is (apparently) reserved in your bylaws to the membership.

Our by-laws indicate:  "Approval of and funding for special projects deemed necessary by the BOD (Board of Directors) must be voted upon and approved at a regularly scheduled membership meeting."

Shouldn't the approval of the funding come from the membership (i.e. BOD)

While it's possible that, in this context, the word "membership" refers to the membership of the board, I think the word "membership" is more commonly used to refer to the "general membership" of the association. 

The membership can, if it wishes, create a Finance Committee to make recommendations, but not to have actual authority to approve things.  That is (apparently) reserved in your bylaws to the membership.

By "the membership" do you mean "the board"?

While it's possible that, in this context, the word "membership" refers to the membership of the board, I think the word "membership" is more commonly used to refer to the "general membership" of the association. 

By "the membership" do you mean "the board"?

No, I meant the general membership.

Archived