The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Investigative Committee

George Mervosh

If a society has no standing committee on discipline and appoints an investigative committee when needed, is that committee immediately discharged upon presentation of their final report, the same as other special committees, or does it stay in existence long enough to make sure the society does not refer something further back to them regarding the member who was just investigated?  

If a society has no standing committee on discipline and appoints an investigative committee when needed, is that committee immediately discharged upon presentation of their final report, the same as other special committees, or does it stay in existence long enough to make sure the society does not refer something further back to them regarding the member who was just investigated?  

My own view of this is that the rules relating to the discharge of special committees apply to an investigative committee appointed as you describe. There appears to be no special rule providing for its revival after it has been discharged, as there is with respect to a nominating committee.

This raises the question as to exactly when a special committee which has submitted its final report actually ceases to exist. We are told that it is "on presentation of its final report" (p. 492, ll. 5-60), and that it is "as soon as the assembly receives its final report" (p. 502, l. 29). This raises a question (at least in my mind) as to whether or not motions referring matters back to a special committee are in order while the assembly is considering the recommendations or motions contained in its final report. I'm inclined to think that they are.

My own view of this is that the rules relating to the discharge of special committees apply to an investigative committee appointed as you describe. There appears to be no special rule providing for its revival after it has been discharged, as there is with respect to a nominating committee.

This raises the question as to exactly when a special committee which has submitted its final report actually ceases to exist. We are told that it is "on presentation of its final report" (p. 492, ll. 5-60), and that it is "as soon as the assembly receives its final report" p. 502, l. 29). This raises a question (at least in my mind) as to whether or not motions referring matters back to a special committee are in order while the assembly is considering the recommendations or motions contained in its final report. I'm inclined to think that they are.

This is immensely helpful, in many ways.  Thanks.

Archived