The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Automatic Logout?

Time was, I could visit this site countless times without every having to log in every time.  I'd just hit the bookmark and show up all logged in.

Well, maybe if I changed computers I'd have to log in again, but only then.

Lately it seems that if I go for coffee I have to log in again.  

Has something changed, or have I accidentally set something wrong?

Do you click the "Remember Me" box when you log in?

As long as you're using the same browser on the same computer, I assume a cookie is doing the job of keeping you logged on. Have you made any recent changes to your browser settings re: cookies?

I'm basically logged in 24/7 though I think I've been unintentionally logged out a couple of times (can't remember if the circumstances had anything in common).

I have had the same issue for quite a while now, but generally only after I have closed all open windows and then come back some time later. I haven't been too concerned, because logging back in is easy (the login box is already populated with my login name and password when I click on log in), but I have wondered about it. I do have "Remember me" checked. I also am using Google Chrome. Haven't tried IE lately to see how it works with that browser.

I'm experiencing no unexpected logouts using Chrome with Windows XP.

Closing the browser, shutting down Windows, turning off the computer. No problem.

Edited to add:

Chrome is storing 7 cookies for robertsrules.forumflash.com. Also something called an "indexed database".

Some of the cookies expire "When the browsing session ends" but I'm not sure it means what it seems to mean. Anyway, I guess one of the cookies keeps me logged in and another remembers which posts I've read.

I'm not sure any of this is especially helpful but you could check your cookies and see what's there.

Yeah, I am using Chrome.  I'll check to see if I cleared that box by mistake.  Thanks.

Edited to add:

Well, the box was still checked, but the "Remember me" feature isn't working, at least with Chrome.  Maybe the cookie blocker is preventing it.

Further edited to add:

Removed cookie blocking, [x] Remember Me box is still checked (it remembers that at least) but still makes me login each time.

I'm leaning toward a bug in the forum, since I haven't changed anything, and I'm seeing this problem suddenly on three different computers.  Unless it's a bug in chrome that slipped into all three at once.

I'm leaning toward a bug in the forum, since I haven't changed anything, and I'm seeing this problem suddenly on three different computers.  Unless it's a bug in chrome that slipped into all three at once.

Since I'm on the same forum using the same browser*, I don't think either is the source of your problem.

*I should note that I'm using Chrome Version 43.0.2357.81 m

I think also if you log in from a different IP address, you may be logged out. That could be because you logged in from a different computer or you have a dynamic IP address that changes regularly.

Hmm. I rarely turn off my modem (which doubles as a WiFi router) and didn't in the above experiment.

So I checked my IP address, closed the tab with this forum, closed the browser, shut down the computer, and turned off the modem. Then I turned on the modem, turned on the computer, opened the browser, verified that I now had a new IP address, and returned to this page. Still logged in.

I've done a little more Googling and may have found one possible source of the "problem". Some of the cookies are set to expire when the browsing session ends. But this can be overridden by Chrome. Go to Settings > Advanced Settings > Content settings. If the first option, "Allow local data to be set" is selected, the session cookie(s) will be retained. If the second option is selected, they won't be.

For example, consider this cookie:

mqtids
Created: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 9:20:05 PM
Expires: When the browsing session ends

My browsing sessions have ended several times since June 3 but the cookie is retained.

Archived