The Official RONR Q & A Forums

amending approved minutes

Guest Willie Watson

Guest Willie Watson

In our organization our constitution states that: the duties of all officers shall be according to Robert's rules of Order, current Edition. I read in  RONR  p. 470, ll 15-17  that “All points of order and appeals, whether sustained or lost, together with the reasons given by the chair for his or her ruling” should be included in the minutes. I raised a point of order on a matter two meeting ago and the minutes from that meeting have already been approved. However, there is no mentioned that a point of order was ever raised or what the chair’s ruling was! How should I proceed so that the minutes reflect that a point of order was raised? Shall I move under new business that the minutes from the previous meeting be amended so that the point of order is included in those minutes?  But since it appears that  this should have  been included by the secretary  to begin with,  is there another mechanism that I can use so a 2/3 vote to amend something previously approved can be avoided?

How should I proceed so that the minutes reflect that a point of order was raised? Shall I move under new business that the minutes from the previous meeting be amended so that the point of order is included in those minutes?

Yes. See FAQ #16.

But since it appears that  this should have  been included by the secretary  to begin with,  is there another mechanism that I can use so a 2/3 vote to amend something previously approved can be avoided?

No.

But since it appears that  this should have  been included by the secretary  to begin with,  is there another mechanism that I can use so a 2/3 vote to amend something previously approved can be avoided?

If you give notice of intent to make the motion to correct the minutes, then only a majority vote will be required.

Archived