The Official RONR Q & A Forums

The Authorship Team

Lest there be any misunderstanding, I think it is incumbent upon me to make it plain here on this message board that I am no longer a member of the authorship team of RONR and RONRIB. As you can well imagine, the preparation of new editions requires an enormous amount of work, and it gradually became clear to me that my interest in and enthusiasm for the job had diminished to the point that I would no longer be willing to devote the time and effort required in order to do my fair share of the work involved. As a consequence, I felt I should resign, and I have done so.

This does not mean that I will no longer continue to post messages here on the forum from time to time, and so I’m afraid that you regulars will have to continue putting up with me until such time as the boss lady shuts me down.

I have always looked forward to reading the posts by Mr. Honemann, and for that reason I formed a habit of reading the message board almost every day. I have found the information he provided to be very useful. His postings have helped me grow in knowledge of parliamentary procedure and are a huge part of my "parliamentary education." So I'm relieved to know we can expect to continue to "put up" with him.

Mr. Honemann is still an author of the current editions of RONR and RONRIB, and there ain't nothin' he can do to change that. :)

And even though Mr. Honemann has retired resigned from The Authorship Team, I've already suggested (alas, to no avail) that he retain his position as a member of The Moderating Team. If for no other reason than he has contributed more than 4,000 posts as a Moderator and those posts no longer indicate that.

• 2 months later...

Mr. Honemann is the only member of the authorship team of the current edition I longed to meet. I've met and even privileged to dine with two of the team when I first got to visit the Biennium a few year's ago. Those were the moments of revelations to me, as I got to learn what they did beyond the Rules. Their interests and parallel lines of academic pursuits besides parli proc.

This is more intriguing since I got to read a Chinese translation version of the Rules before I got my 10th Ed. Then I got to know how Dr. Sun Yat Sen regretted to have failed to spread this field of education to all Chinese then, since 1911. It would have changed the course of parliamentary history in Asia had he done what was well needed then. Cheers.

Regretted to have failed t spread,...( my missed words, sorry)

One of the benefits of being a member is the ability to edit (i.e. amend) and even delete (i.e. rescind) your posts.

Though one should never delete posts that have been replied to.

And any editing done after replies have been posted should be done sparingly and transparently (e.g. by using Strike Through and adding a note indicating that the post has been edited).

Edited at 9:15 AM.

Would it be appropriate for the poster to edit this post at this point (over two months later)?

And, lest there be any further misunderstanding (and as indicated by his status popup on the message board), Mr. Honemann is still an author of the current editions of RONR and RONRIB, and there ain't nothin' he can do to change that. :)

Should there be a thread describing the etiquette that is expected in this forum?

• 10 months later...
On ‏۰۱‏/‏۰۶‏/‏۱۳۹۴ at 5:29 AM, Kim-SeeTeo said:

Mr. Honemann is the only member of the authorship team of the current edition I longed to meet. I've met and even privileged to dine with two of the team when I first got to visit the Biennium a few year's ago. Those were the moments of revelations to me, as I got to learn what they did beyond the Rules. Their interests and parallel lines of academic pursuits besides parli proc.

This is more intriguing since I got to read a Chinese translation version of the Rules before I got my 10th Ed. Then I got to know how Dr. Sun Yat Sen regretted to have failed to spread this field of education to all Chinese then, since 1911. It would have changed the course of parliamentary history in Asia had he done what was well needed then. Cheers.

Dear Sir

Who is the translator of Chinese translation version of Robert's Rules? Which edition of this book has been translated into Chinese? And what was of Dr. Sun Yat Sen in this arena? Did he translate the book? Or he knew this book? In which language you have read its 10th edition?

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

One Chinese national who earned his engineering degree from the U. of Alaska, did the Chinese translation of both the 10th and 11 th ed in 2008 and 2015 respectively after his return to his homeland. He did the work with one experienced  professor who has resided in CA for many years. I read both the Chinese editions and use them to train online Chinese Learners today in Chinese only since they don't understand any English. I can teach in Chinese and English and one other language. It's tough for them to learn since the translator wasn't himself trained in PP, in my understanding. 

Dr. Sun who was the founder of Modern China in 1911, actually wanted to introduce the PP into PRC, but alas he didn't get to do that. He did one translation work on PP but into Classical Chinese which was very hard to understand by Chinese today.

Thanks for your asking.

• 1 year later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.