The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Object to the Consideration of a Question

George Mervosh

See this thread's original post - http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/25673-back-on-the-agenda/?p=145136 

In part, the facts note:  "Two committees and a main body. Committees meet separately (though at the same time) before the board meeting, then we have the full board meeting. Often items that are on a committee agenda are also on the full board agenda. We vote in committee, then vote as a board later in the day."

Are items that automatically pass through these committees for their recommendation first, whether by rule or by custom, subject to a motion to Object to the Consideration of a Question at the same session?

Transpower suggests at a subsequent session where the facts note the committee won't deal with it again allows for the making of the motion.  I can see that being proper, actually.

See this thread's original post - http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/25673-back-on-the-agenda/?p=145136

In part, the facts note:  "Two committees and a main body. Committees meet separately (though at the same time) before the board meeting, then we have the full board meeting. Often items that are on a committee agenda are also on the full board agenda. We vote in committee, then vote as a board later in the day."

Are items that automatically pass through these committees for their recommendation first, whether by rule or by custom, subject to a motion to Object to the Consideration of a Question at the same session?

Transpower suggests at a subsequent session where the facts note the committee won't deal with it again allows for the making of the motion.  I can see that being proper, actually.

I don't understand these facts at all, and so the best I can do is refer you to page 509, lines 15- 27.

Looking back at the thread referred to (which I’ve finally gotten around to doing), these thoughts come to mind:

1. The responses all assume that the OP’s belief that the rules of her board permit the making of motions to reconsider at its next meeting is incorrect. I don’t know why.

2. The response in post #2 simply notes that an objection can be raised to the consideration of a motion proposing renewal at a later meeting of a previously rejected original main motion. I suppose no one will quarrel with this.

3. I’ve no idea how a committee can be the “originating committee” of an item which the staff places on the board’s agenda at the same time it places it on a committee’s agenda. In any event, this does not appear to have been something referred to the committee by the board, and if it wasn’t, it was an original main motion when first introduced at the meeting of the board.

Archived