The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ratifying When Business that Required 2/3 vote was taken

parkourninja

I am of the understanding that an assembly without a quorum can take action so long as it is ratified at a later meeting. If an assembly without a quorum took action on a matter requiring a 2/3 vote for adoption such as to amend something previously adopted, would ratifying the action still take a majority vote?

A 2/3 vote is required, yes.  I don't like the way you stated your first sentence since a motion to ratify isn't intended to encourage assemblies to take action without a quorum present.  Maybe you didn't mean it that way.

Thank you. That would make sense.

A 2/3 vote is required, yes.  I don't like the way you stated your first sentence since a motion to ratify isn't intended to encourage assemblies to take action without a quorum present.  Maybe you didn't mean it that way.

Yes, I understand assemblies are not encouraged to take action without a quorum, it is only for emergencies and they could face censorship as a punishment.

Yes, I understand assemblies are not encouraged to take action without a quorum, it is only for emergencies and they could face censorship as a punishment.

I think you mean "censure," which is a formal expression of the assembly's disapproval. "Censorship" is to suppress disagreeable speech, writing, and the like, and it is not one of the forms of punishment in RONR. Correct terminology aside, this grossly understates the potential punishments for taking action at an inquorate meeting. The members could be suspended or expelled from the society, and they could also be held personally responsible for any expenditure of funds.

It must also be understood that if action is taken in the absence of a quorum, the members are acting as individuals, not as the assembly.

Archived