The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minimum Number of People for a Committee

parkourninja

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I am a little surprised it is only one person because there would be no possibility for discussion.

Yes, one.  But if this one member proposes a motion, someone from the board or the assembly (depending on the meeting) must second it in order for it to be debated and voted on.  If the committee has two or more members, then no second would be necessary....

With regard to the second and I also saw this in another thread (http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/25693-committee-presents-a-motion-do-we-need-a-second/), this question seems to the contrary:

12. Committee motions require a second if the committee consists of over

a. one person.

b. two persons.

c. three persons.

d. over three persons.

The correct answer is marked B. Wouldn't that contradict the answer given in the linked thread above and quoted in this message?

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I am a little surprised it is only one person because there would be no possibility for discussion.

With regard to the second and I also saw this in another thread (http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/25693-committee-presents-a-motion-do-we-need-a-second/), this question seems to the contrary:

12. Committee motions require a second if the committee consists of over

a. one person.

b. two persons.

c. three persons.

d. over three persons.

The correct answer is marked B. Wouldn't that contradict the answer given in the linked thread above and quoted in this message?

Why don't you trash these sample questions you've been looking at and use some from NAP?

Why don't you trash these sample questions you've been looking at and use some from NAP?

These were some basic tests to help me figure out what I do and don't know. There are 102 tests, most with 25 questions and I learned a great deal from them, there are just a couple that I have not been able to figure out why a certain answer was marked correcty. The 300 question NAP exam will be my "Final" which I am going to take later today.

Is that question I just posted about committee reports requiring a second also incorrect?

Is that question I just posted about committee reports requiring a second also incorrect?

The question is not about committee reports, but about motions arising from a committee.

In any case, the question should say, "Motions arising from a committee do not require a second if the committee consists of more than . . . "

And the correct answer is "one person".

Alternatively, the question could be, "Motions arising from a committee require a second if the committee consists of fewer than . . . "

And the correct answer is "two persons".

The actual test questions (and answers) for the RP exam are available from NAP in both spiral bound booklet form and in a downloadable version for about $20.  My search just now found only the downloadable version, but they also have a spiral bound printed version.  https://netforum.avectra.com/eweb/shopping/shopping.aspx?site=nap&webcode=shopping&shopsearch=study+guide+for+registration+exam&shopsearchcat=merchandise&prd_key=82924eb9-3d46-4e75-884c-ee321b8a9113

Edited to add:  The NAP website also has some excellent interactive online test questions.

Edited again to add:  Mr (Ms? Miss?  Mrs?) parkourninja mentioned the NAP 300 question exam.  I assume he (she?) means the NAP registration exam, which does consist of 300 multiple  choice questions plus five essay questions.  The study guide consists of 1200 questions.

But, he might have been referring to the old 300 question study guide for the basic membership exam, which consisted of 100 questions.  NAP has abandoned that test and the membership test now  consists of about 40 questions taken from the first 11 chapters of RONR in Brief.  The test is no longer based on RONR and the old 300 question study guide is no longer used (although it is something well worth learning!!).

By his reference to "300 questions", I don't know if he is referring to the 300 question RP exam of the old 300 question basic membership study questions.

The actual test questions (and answers) for the RP exam are available from NAP in both spiral bound booklet form and in a downloadable version for about $20.  My search just now found only the downloadable version, but they also have a spiral bound printed version.  https://netforum.avectra.com/eweb/shopping/shopping.aspx?site=nap&webcode=shopping&shopsearch=study+guide+for+registration+exam&shopsearchcat=merchandise&prd_key=82924eb9-3d46-4e75-884c-ee321b8a9113

Edited to add:  The NAP website also has some excellent interactive online test questions.

Edited again to add:  Mr (Ms? Miss?  Mrs?) parkourninja mentioned the NAP 300 question exam.  I assume he (she?) means the NAP registration exam, which does consist of 300 multiple  choice questions plus five essay questions.  The study guide consists of 1200 questions.

But, he might have been referring to the old 300 question study guide for the basic membership exam, which consisted of 100 questions.  NAP has abandoned that test and the membership test now  consists of about 40 questions taken from the first 11 chapters of RONR in Brief.  The test is no longer based on RONR and the old 300 question study guide is no longer used (although it is something well worth learning!!).

By his reference to "300 questions", I don't know if he is referring to the 300 question RP exam of the old 300 question basic membership study questions.

I am referring to the following resource - http://www.parliamentarians.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/List-of-300-questions.pdf

Those are the OLD study questions for the OLD membership test.  It is based on RONR.

That test is no longer used and those study questions are no longer the study questions for the new membership test, which is based on the first eleven chapters of RONR in Brief.   They are excellent study questions, but the test is no longer based directly on those questions.

The new study questions are completely different and can be found here:  http://www.parliamentarians.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2015_2_26-StudyGuideforMembershipExam.pdf

I can't even comprehend any phrasing of the question so as to make C the correct answer.

Well, the question could be phrased so that "C" is the correct answer, but not "B", which is alleged to be the correct answer.

If the question was transcribed accurately, Mr. Honemann's advice to "trash these questions" is well taken, since that's where they belong.

Well, the question could be phrased so that "C" is the correct answer, but not "B", which is alleged to be the correct answer.

You are right.  I misread it and was thinking that C was the correct answer.  Yes, it could be re-worded so that B is the correct answer.  As the question is currently phrased, none of the answers are correct. 

The new study questions are completely different and can be found here:  http://www.parliamentarians.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2015_2_26-StudyGuideforMembershipExam.pdf

You are correct that these are the study questions, but it is my understanding that the actual test questions will not be taken from the study questions.

Archived