The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting for Yourself for President - What Should Chair Do

parkourninja

If a member voted for herself for president, is it true that the chair should tell the member that they may only vote in the event of a tie?

No. It would be unusual if she didn't vote for herself.

There are some limitations on when the presiding officer (i.e.chair or president) should vote. See FAQ #1.

If a member voted for herself for president, is it true that the chair should tell the member that they may only vote in the event of a tie?

Are you asking if a member can vote only in the case of a tie??  If that is what you are asking, then the answer is no, a member may always vote, even in cases of a conflict.  However, except when voting by ballot, the chair should vote only when his vote will affect the result.  He can vote to create a tie as well as to break a tie.

Edited to add:  A member should abstain in certain cases of a conflict, but cannot be forced to abstain.  Voting for oneself is not something that should cause a member to abstain!

I remember reading in RONR that no member can be forced not to vote on a motion that would be to the contrary of that statement.

I really don't know what you are trying to say or ask by that statement.

Are you asking if a member can vote only in the case of a tie??  If that is what you are asking, then the answer is no, a member may always vote, even in cases of a conflict.  However, except when voting by ballot, the chair should vote only when his vote will affect the result.  He can vote to create a tie as well as to break a tie.

Edited to add:  A member should abstain in certain cases of a conflict, but cannot be forced to abstain.  Voting for oneself is not something that should cause a member to abstain!

That's what I thought.

I remember reading in RONR that no member can be forced not to vote on a motion that would be to the contrary of that statement.

Maybe you're think of this, from page 407:

"No member should vote on a question in which he has a direct personal or pecuniary interest not common to other members of the organization. . . . However, no member can be compelled to refrain from voting in such circumstances."

Maybe you're think of this, from page 407:

"No member should vote on a question in which he has a direct personal or pecuniary interest not common to other members of the organization. . . . However, no member can be compelled to refrain from voting in such circumstances."

Since the original question was about a member voting for herself for office, it's worth noting that RONR also says the following:

"The rule on abstaining from voting on a question of direct personal interest does not mean that a member should not vote for himself for an office or other position to which members generally are eligible" (RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 407-408)

Archived