The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proxy Voting

jtc0601

I had a member ask if he could give someone his proxy for the election at our Annual Business meeting since he will not be able to attend.  The only part of the bylaws that list proxy voting is when proposing an amendment to the bylaws.  The election section state the candidate receiving the most votes shall be elected.  Historically, I've never seen anyone use the proxy voting method so I'm not sure how it works.  Can he proxy for the election and would that mean it would count as part of the quorum?  Also, does he need to specify what his proxy would count towards or does it give the other person the right to use his proxy for all voting at that meeting?  I don't want to tell him the wrong thing. I'm a little confused and would like your opinions to help me make a more informed decision.  The internet can only give you so much when your not sure what you are looking for.  Our bylaws are definitely i need of a professional's touch.  We are in the process of looking for a Professional Parliamentarian to help us.  I have attached the sections about voting from our bylaws for your review if needed.  Thank you

LCCPAAA Bylaws - Voting Sections Only.pdf

Can he proxy for the election and would that mean it would count as part of the quorum?  Also, does he need to specify what his proxy would count towards or does it give the other person the right to use his proxy for all voting at that meeting?

See FAQ #10 , paying particular attention to the last sentence.

Archived