The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Agenda Item and Minutes

Jayadev

In our board of trustees  meeting an agenda item was added by a trustee and agenda was approved by the board. 

when discussion started on  the said item  the trustee who added the item to the Agenda started discussion. other trustees participated in the discussion. There was no formal motion or  second for the said item. discussion ended with out voting except president said he will take care of it. How do we record this in the minutes.

Thanks

Jay

was it a valid discussion? because it was started with out a formal motion and second.Thanks

Small boards (with not more than about a dozen members) are free to discuss questions without a formal motion pending. You might want to contrast discussion (no motion pending) with debate (motion pending).

And seconds are not required at meetings of small boards

In any event, neither discussion nor debate belongs in the minutes as the minutes are the official record of what was done (e.g. motions) not what was said (e.g. discussion or debate).

Having been a secretary, I sympathize with the difficulty here.  Organizations that are not careful with rules often have people saying "so moved," chairs who proceed to a vote when someone says "call the question," "friendly amendments," and, most frustratingly, a lot of what might be considered implied motions adopted by unanimous consent - or might not.  It makes it quite difficult to keep accurate minutes and record the exact wording of motions.  I relied pretty heavily on "without objection."  For instance "Mr. X moved that..." Without objection, the motion was amended by inserting...  It's not ideal but, hey, there was no objection.

The "I will take care of it" response is always frustrating - you know something happened, it seems like an action was taken, but what action?  Again - "Without objection, a motion was adopted that Mr. X will..."

Having been a secretary, I sympathize with the difficulty here.  Organizations that are not careful with rules often have people saying "so moved," chairs who proceed to a vote when someone says "call the question," "friendly amendments," and, most frustratingly, a lot of what might be considered implied motions adopted by unanimous consent - or might not.  It makes it quite difficult to keep accurate minutes and record the exact wording of motions.  I relied pretty heavily on "without objection."  For instance "Mr. X moved that..." Without objection, the motion was amended by inserting...  It's not ideal but, hey, there was no objection.

The "I will take care of it" response is always frustrating - you know something happened, it seems like an action was taken, but what action?  Again - "Without objection, a motion was adopted that Mr. X will..."

The easy solution to this is for the Secretary to ask what the actual action to be done is and to record it. If somebody says it is obvious, the Secretary responds that the wording is needed. It is not surprising the number of times you will find that all do not agree as to what had just happened or was agreed to.

Archived