The Official RONR Q & A Forums

new editions of Robert's Rules - policy to issue on the decades?

Guest cyan

Hi - I submitted a bylaw proposal to change bylaws to recommended language

in Robert's Rules such that the parliamentary law (Robert's Rules) upgrades whenever

there is a new edition,  automatically.    Conventions are every four years in August.

This year 2015, 2019, 2023, 2027, 2031, 2035, 2039, 2043, 2047, 2051, 2055, 2059,

etc. 

Q: Do the Robert's Rules editors ever plan on releasing a new edition on a year

other than the 10's / decades, (ie instead of 2020, you'd change it 2019? or instead of

2030, you'd change it 2031)?   What might I tell these backwards folks to move them

from their irrational position?

The lame rejection reason was :blink: no update to latest edition because :

"by changing from the 10th edition to the current addition(sic), 
this could complicate the proceedings.  If Robert's Rules
of Order issues a new edition shortly before a convention,
the convention would be bound by this new edition which may
not be widely known"

Hi - I submitted a bylaw proposal to change bylaws to recommended language

in Robert's Rules such that the parliamentary law (Robert's Rules) upgrades whenever

there is a new edition,  automatically.  

I'm assuming that you used the language suggested in RONR for adopting it as a society's parliamentary authority which you can find here:  http://www.robertsrules.com/authority.html

Q: Do the Robert's Rules editors ever plan on releasing a new edition on a year

other than the 10's / decades, (ie instead of 2020, you'd change it 2019? or instead of

2030, you'd change it 2031)?  

I can't speak for the authorship team, but it's my understanding that the Robert's Rules Association plan to release a new edition about every ten years.  Since 1970, each edition has been released at the start of a new decade or the next year.  There has never been one released the year before the start of a new decade.  You can see when each edition was released here:  http://www.robertsrules.com/history.html

The lame rejection reason was :blink: no update to latest edition because :

"by changing from the 10th edition to the current addition(sic), 
this could complicate the proceedings.  If Robert's Rules
of Order issues a new edition shortly before a convention,
the convention would be bound by this new edition which may
not be widely known"

Since the changes in rules and procedures in each new edition are usually very minor, this should not present a problem.  Most, but not all changes, are in the way of clarification of existing rules.  I doubt very seriously that you will see a wholesale revision of the rules themselves!  

You might find it noteworthy that the 11th edition was released during and at the NAP (National Association of Parliamentarians) biennial convention in 2011, a convention at which a major revision of the bylaws was undertaken.   I did not attend that convention, but I understand that having the new edition come out during the convention was not a problem.  Perhaps someone who was there can tell you how they handled it. 

I think the concern being raised by the doubters is unfounded and is probably based on their lack of knowledge of RONR.

Edited to add:  btw, you do know that we are in the 11th edition now, not the 10th edition, right?

Richard - Thank you for your response, yes I know 11th edition !!!  But these folks are backwards

and afraid of the 11th edition for lame reasons as given.   Thank you for the link to the history

of the releases, I'll try again to get them to budge from the 10th to use the up to date editions.

I did use the language suggested in RONR for the bylaw.

okay, cool, the biennial conventions 38t, 39th and 40th of parliamentarians was held

September, so my organization's usual August Convention will not experience the feared

surprise RONR change prior to our convention !!! - Swats down that excuse !

Archived