The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Officers and Agendas

Guest CollegeBound

We are starting a new school year and our student government failed (due to conflicts between certain students and advisors) to hold an election for new officers. Starting this school year, since the term expired over the summer, what should we do for running a meeting? The past-year's President and Secretary are still at the college, but should they still be in their positions? 

Fact is: a few of us are exasperated but still trying to keep our government going because this is how our clubs get funding and activities happen on campus. In order to hold elections we have to have an election committee make the election known for people to nominate themselves or others with ample amount of time, then at least half the college has to vote, so this will take most likely the first whole month of school. IF the past President and Secretary can keep the positions we are still down a vice, treasurer (which is required by law), and a PIO. 

I guess one way to sum this complicated problem up is: can we hold an emergency vote where members present volunteer for roles? Can I along with our other director create an agenda and tell the government that I'm creating a committee to get this stuff done that meets immediately after that meeting and Chair the committee? Who is in charge (please tell me not the advisor)?

Your bylaws might say that terms expire at the end of the school year.  They might also say that terms expire at the end of the school year, or when successors are elected.  In either case, the positions would be vacant (per RONR, you might have other provisions in law, particularly as regards the treasurer, in school policy, or in other places in your bylaws.)  To hold a meeting, you need only a presiding officer and recording officer, not President and Secretary.  The meeting can be called to order, a chair pro tem elected, followed by electing a secretary pro tem.  Normally it would be the responsibility of the Secretary to call the meeting to order in such a case, but...The question would then be how the election committee gets appointed per your bylaws, which we'd need precise wording on.  

Or, your bylaws might say that terms expire at the end of the school year and when successors are elected, in which case the President and Secretary can still hold office until an election can be called.  Again, we don't know how your elections committee is appointed, or the details of your nominating and election process, but there's at least a chance that difficulties can exist without a President which would not arise with a President.  

It would be nice if schools required faculty who advise bodies that use parliamentary procedure to at least know something about it.  See the parliamentary debacle at UCLA in which the advisor participated.  It's also worth noting that, unless your bylaws, applicable law, or school policy says otherwise, advisors are not members and can be removed by order of the chair if they are disruptive.  

We are starting a new school year and our student government failed (due to conflicts between certain students and advisors) to hold an election for new officers. Starting this school year, since the term expired over the summer, what should we do for running a meeting? The past-year's President and Secretary are still at the college, but should they still be in their positions?

Fact is: a few of us are exasperated but still trying to keep our government going because this is how our clubs get funding and activities happen on campus. In order to hold elections we have to have an election committee make the election known for people to nominate themselves or others with ample amount of time, then at least half the college has to vote, so this will take most likely the first whole month of school. IF the past President and Secretary can keep the positions we are still down a vice, treasurer (which is required by law), and a PIO.

I guess one way to sum this complicated problem up is: can we hold an emergency vote where members present volunteer for roles? Can I along with our other director create an agenda and tell the government that I'm creating a committee to get this stuff done that meets immediately after that meeting and Chair the committee? Who is in charge (please tell me not the advisor)?

We're going to need more information to attempt to answer these questions. In particular, we need to know the following:

-How do the bylaws define the term of office for the officers? In particular, do the bylaws provide that officers shall serve "until their successors are elected?"

-It seems unlikely since this is a student government association, but by any chance do any of the members or officers serve terms longer than one year?

-Is there another meeting scheduled? If so, when? If not (or if that meeting is too far away), how are meetings scheduled?

-What do the bylaws say about appointing the election committee?

I have experience with student government associations, and I'd be willing to continue this discussion by e-mail if it becomes too detailed and involved with the organization's rules for this forum.

Lastly, while I can't say this with certainty without reviewing your rules, I'd say that the advisor is most likely not in charge.

Your bylaws might say that terms expire at the end of the school year. They might also say that terms expire at the end of the school year, or when successors are elected. In either case, the positions would be vacant...

Actually, there is no difference between "or" or "and" in this regard. So long as there is an "until their successors are elected" clause, the officers will continue serving. There's only a difference between the two versions for disciplinary procedures.

We're going to need more information to attempt to answer these questions. In particular, we need to know the following: . . .

-How do the bylaws define the term of office for the officers? In particular, do the bylaws provide that officers shall serve "until their successors are elected?". . . .

Actually, there is no difference between "or" or "and" in this regard. So long as there is an "until their successors are elected" clause, the officers will continue serving. There's only a difference between the two versions for disciplinary procedures. . . .

That is my understanding too, Josh.  I was just looking for an explicit statement in RONR to that effect and couldn't find it, but that is my clear understanding.

Archived