The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committees with permanent referrals: special rule of order?

Sean Hunt

If a committee is permanently referred an ongoing matter (such as having terms of reference to continually recommend amendments to the standing rules) without necessarily precluding consideration of the same by the assembly, is that committee required to be constituted by a special rule of order or a standing rule? I'm not sure if it fits under the category of "automatically referred", since it's not necessarily the case that all revisions to the standing rules necessarily get referred to the committee. Am I overthinking things or reading the "automatically referred" language too narrowly?

If a committee is permanently referred an ongoing matter (such as having terms of reference to continually recommend amendments to the standing rules) without necessarily precluding consideration of the same by the assembly, is that committee required to be constituted by a special rule of order or a standing rule? I'm not sure if it fits under the category of "automatically referred", since it's not necessarily the case that all revisions to the standing rules necessarily get referred to the committee. Am I overthinking things or reading the "automatically referred" language too narrowly?

Permanently referred, as you put it, seems to imply the assembly is the one deciding if it gets referred, even if their pattern will be to routinely do so with very few exceptions.  My view of it is this does not constitute an automatic referral and a standing rule will suffice.

Permanently referred, as you put it, seems to imply the assembly is the one deciding if it gets referred, even if their pattern will be to routinely do so with very few exceptions.  My view of it is this does not constitute an automatic referral and a standing rule will suffice.

I would have thought this a matter of the transaction of business, rather than administration.  How do you figure?

I don't quite understand what "having terms of reference to continually recommend amendments to the standing rules" means, but since it apparently is not the case that only this committee may propose amendments to these standing rules, or that all proposed amendments to them must be referred to this committee, I think that a motion proposing to establish such a committee will require only a majority vote for its adoption.

Archived