The Official RONR Q & A Forums

clerk or treasurer

Guest Tenika

I was wondering if I could get some opinions from others on what the difference is between a clerk and a treasurer? Such as example: a church clerk treasurer, would that be considered two different positions? Or actually just one? Our church bylaws state that in selecting a church treasurer, one is appointed by the pastor, one that works in harmony with the church`s program, one who performs duties under the supervision of the pastor, just to name a few things, the bylaws actually had the words clerk until a few years ago then amended that to the word treasurer. The section of treasurer selection, duties ect. read as of one person. So is clerk/treasure one position or two? Thanks for any and all input.

In RONR a "clerk" is a word sometimes (I think, without the capacity for research...) used for the Secretary position.

Perhaps your church bylaws have a Secretary-Treasurer position in mind -- it is not uncommon to have both jobs held by one person.

But ultimately your association of church members will have to figure out what your bylaws "really" mean.

Perhaps your church bylaws have a Secretary-Treasurer position in mind -- it is not uncommon to have both jobs held by one person.

And even if the offices of secretary and treasurer are separate, it's not uncommon, especially in small organizations, for the same person to hold both offices.

But, or course, Mr. Stackpole is right. You'll have to check your bylaws (and other rules and maybe the minutes of meetings) to determine what your clerk and your treasurer (or your clerk/treasurer) can do.

You can call the officer whatever you want. You can call the clerk "secretary" or "scribe". You can call the treasurer "bean counter" or "adder". It doesn't much matter what you call them (unless you call them "president"!).

Archived