The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting on Bylaw revisions

mecharm

We are in the process of revising our Bylaws by committee. When voting time comes, I was told "because our general membership already made a motion to review and revise our Bylaws by committee, we don't need to get a motion from the floor to accept each section containing a revision". 

Everything I have read and researched in RONR, RONR In Brief and even for Roberts Rules Dummies, I have found nothing to validate the statement. She says she got this info from her post in the RONR forum in 2006 but doesn't have a copy of it.   

How do we know there is an ineterest in going into discussion on it without a motion and a second?  Am I on the right track here?

A motion to amend the bylaws is a main motion. It has to be the pending motion before discussion. A bylaws revision should be considered by paragraph and this method could be followed by the chair without a motion (unless the assembly decides otherwise). See "Amendment of Bylaws" in RONR 11th ed., starting on p. 592 and "Consideration by Paragraph or Seriatim" starting on p. 276.

We are in the process of revising our Bylaws by committee. When voting time comes, I was told "because our general membership already made a motion to review and revise our Bylaws by committee, we don't need to get a motion from the floor to accept each section containing a revision".

Everything I have read and researched in RONR, RONR In Brief and even for Roberts Rules Dummies, I have found nothing to validate the statement. She says she got this info from her post in the RONR forum in 2006 but doesn't have a copy of it.

How do we know there is an ineterest in going into discussion on it without a motion and a second? Am I on the right track here?

This person is correct that it is not necessary to make a motion accepting each section, but she is incorrect in suggesting that no motion is required at all. The reporting member of the committee should make a motion to adopt the revision in its entirety. No second is required because the motion is made on behalf of a committee of more than one person. (In essence, the other members of the committee are the second.)

The revision is discussed section by section, and amendments to the revision are in order. After all is said and done, however, a single vote is taken on the revision as a whole. Voting on the revision section by section might leave a garbled mess, with a patchwork of articles from the original bylaws and the revised bylaws.

Archived