The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amending a Bylaw amendment

Guest T. Tresh

A properly noticed amendment to the Bylaws is being brought forth at a meeting at which a 2/3 vote is required to pass.  A member seeks to put forth a proper amendment to the amendment. 

What vote is required to pass the amendment to the amendment?

Please cite me to the specific section of (ROR 11).  My reading is that only a majority is necessary to amend the amendment, but this seems to be an easy way to defeat the underlying amendment.

A properly noticed amendment to the Bylaws is being brought forth at a meeting at which a 2/3 vote is required to pass.  A member seeks to put forth a proper amendment to the amendment. 

What vote is required to pass the amendment to the amendment?

Please cite me to the specific section of (ROR 11).  My reading is that only a majority is necessary to amend the amendment, but this seems to be an easy way to defeat the underlying amendment.

As noted, a majority vote (more than half of the votes cast) is needed to adopt an amendment to the proposed amendment. 

I'm not sure why you say that "this seems to be an easy way to defeat the underlying amendment", however, since it is obviously easier to defeat it simply by voting it down with a negative vote of more than just one-third of the votes cast.

Archived