The Official RONR Q & A Forums

"Deferring" Speaking Rights

Guest Gerald

Is it in order for a voting member to "defer" their speaking time/rights to a person who does not have speaking rights? That is to say, can a member give their speaking rights/time to someone who has no right to speak at the assembly?

Further, if they can, would it be in order for a member to defer their speaking rights to someone who has speaking rights, but has exhausted their use of them (i.e. they are entitled to speak 2x per day on a specific topic, and have used both)?

If the above is possible/impossible, what section of Robert's Rules should I refer to, if this comes up? I hope the aforementioned is not too confusing. 

Thank you! 

Is it in order for a voting member to "defer" their speaking time/rights to a person who does not have speaking rights? That is to say, can a member give their speaking rights/time to someone who has no right to speak at the assembly?

Further, if they can, would it be in order for a member to defer their speaking rights to someone who has speaking rights, but has exhausted their use of them (i.e. they are entitled to speak 2x per day on a specific topic, and have used both)?

If the above is possible/impossible, what section of Robert's Rules should I refer to, if this comes up? I hope the aforementioned is not too confusing. 

Thank you! 

The answer is "no".

"Rights in regard to debate are not transferable. Unless the organization has a special rule on the subject, a member cannot yield any unexpired portion of his time to another member, or reserve any portion of his time for a later time—that is, if a member yields the floor before speaking his full ten minutes, he is presumed to have waived his right to the remaining time."  (RONR. 11th ed., p. 388)

As a follow-up, if a member has expired their speaking time, can they still propose amendments? 

Yes. Making a secondary motion is not counted as speaking in debate.

"Thus a member who has exhausted the number of speeches permitted him on a main motion may still seek recognition to move its referral or amendment, for example. In such a case the chair should grant limited recognition by saying, "The member has exhausted his right to debate. For what purpose does he rise?"  (Footnote, page 389)

Archived