The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President does not require board approval

Guest Suzanne Knoble

Good evening,

I serve on a board for a high school marching band.  We have had a very difficult year with what seems like very adversarial and controlling personalities.  Several times in the past year, decisions have been made by the President, that many of us felt should have required a board discussion and required a vote.  Twice I have had other board members tell me that the President is not required to discuss anything with the board and may make decisions as he or she sees fit.  They then refer me to our bylaws.  I have read the bylaws repeatedly and it does not state that.  Robert's Rules of Order, revised edition, is referenced to govern the organization in cases where they are applicable.  I am wondering if this is covered in this book.

My question:  Can the President of the board make decisions regarding purchases or projects that have not been discussed or budgeted for without a discussion with the other board members?  Example 1:  Agree and make a charitable donation to a booster member.  2.  Commit the board and members to a capital building project without discussion.

Again, the comment from 2 other board members is that the President does not need board permission for any decision.  This seems very much contradictory to what I believe is the purpose of the board.  Thank you for any insight you can share.

Your friends who refer you to the bylaws is simply trying to pas the buck.. They have to show you the bylaw provisions that give the president the authority to run wild.  I'll bet they can't.   And show them p.456, line 27.

Time to take a look at Chapter 20  --  possibly heavy going, but you are up against a problem.  Gather your friends around.

Good evening,

I serve on a board for a high school marching band.  We have had a very difficult year with what seems like very adversarial and controlling personalities.  Several times in the past year, decisions have been made by the President, that many of us felt should have required a board discussion and required a vote.  Twice I have had other board members tell me that the President is not required to discuss anything with the board and may make decisions as he or she sees fit.  They then refer me to our bylaws.  I have read the bylaws repeatedly and it does not state that.  Robert's Rules of Order, revised edition, is referenced to govern the organization in cases where they are applicable.  I am wondering if this is covered in this book.

My question:  Can the President of the board make decisions regarding purchases or projects that have not been discussed or budgeted for without a discussion with the other board members?  Example 1:  Agree and make a charitable donation to a booster member.  2.  Commit the board and members to a capital building project without discussion.

Again, the comment from 2 other board members is that the President does not need board permission for any decision.  This seems very much contradictory to what I believe is the purpose of the board.  Thank you for any insight you can share.

Apart from presiding at meetings, the president has only such powers as are explicitly granted in the bylaws.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is providing incorrect information.

This is a common misperception promulgated, no doubt, by presidents who wish to be unencumbered by the opinions of their colleagues! As Mr. N. noted, the President's only power under the rules of order is to preside at meetings. Any administrative powers must be spelled out in the bylaws or otherwise granted by action of the board.

Archived