The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Regularly scheduled Executive Session

Guest Joe from CT

Homeowner's Assoc starts meeting then goes into Executive Session for one hour.  This happens every meeting.

The regular meeting then starts one hour later.  No reason for Executive Session is given.  Shouldn't a reason for going into Executive Session be stated? Is this normal?  They have stated they follow Roberts Rules

Homeowner's Assoc starts meeting then goes into Executive Session for one hour.  This happens every meeting.

The regular meeting then starts one hour later.  No reason for Executive Session is given.  Shouldn't a reason for going into Executive Session be stated? Is this normal?  They have stated they follow Roberts Rules

Nothing in Robert's Rules requires that a reason be stated for going into executive session. Assemblies vary widely, so it's hard to say what is "normal," but some assemblies certainly do hold all of their meetings (or at least a portion of each meeting) in executive session.

With all that said, homeowners' associations are frequently subject to applicable laws which may provide otherwise on these subjects, but that is beyond the scope of RONR and this forum.

Are "they" the board? Are you talking about a board meeting or a meeting of the whole association? The board doesn't have any right to interrupt an association meeting to hold its own secret meeting.

They are the Board and this occurs on a regular basis before every board meeting.  Never state what for; just scheduled automatically.

Then the meeting starts and there is no mention of Executive Session.

Agenda states start then 1 minute later then Executive Session then an hour later general open meeting starts.

They are the Board and this occurs on a regular basis before every board meeting. Never state what for; just scheduled automatically.

Then the meeting starts and there is no mention of Executive Session.

Agenda states start then 1 minute later then Executive Session then an hour later general open meeting starts.

It's a bit confusing that you say this happens "before every board meeting" and then later say that "an hour later general open meeting starts." Is this about a scheduled board meeting, and members of the society are permitted to attend part (but not all) of the meeting? If so, my previous response is still applicable.

Or is this about a scheduled meeting of the general membership, and the board is kicking the members out to have a board meeting before the meeting of the membership starts? In that case, I concur with my colleague that this is improper.

Thanks for your responses - basically every month they do the below so the meetings actually start at 7:30

AGENDA

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

October 15, 2015

6:30 PM Board President will open meeting

6:31 PM Directors will discuss any motions to move to Executive Session

6:32 PM Executive Session

7:30 PM Open Session resumes

I thought it should be start the meeting and then see if need to go into executive session. 

I have also been meetings of other organizations that decide to go into executive session and then everyone other than the board has to leave.

Guess either way is OK if properly moved and seconded both out and then back in

Thanks for your responses - basically every month they do the below so the meetings actually start at 7:30

AGENDA

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

October 15, 2015

6:30 PM Board President will open meeting

6:31 PM Directors will discuss any motions to move to Executive Session

6:32 PM Executive Session

7:30 PM Open Session resumes

I thought it should be start the meeting and then see if need to go into executive session. 

I have also been meetings of other organizations that decide to go into executive session and then everyone other than the board has to leave.

Based on this additional information, I see no problem with this whatsoever, at least so far as RONR is concerned.

Guess either way is OK if properly moved and seconded both out and then back in

They don't even necessarily have to do that. Unanimous consent and relying on the role of custom can make it unnecessary to "go through the motions" every time for a routine motion.

Archived