The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Hostile resignation of treasurer

Guest Rhonda Hannan

At our regular meeting of our nonprofit organization the husband of our Trearurer with the treasurer sitting next to him hostily resigned for his wife. Besides the fact that her husband gave her resignation how do you suggest retrieving our treasurey documents and checkbook? Is there a set time period? Do you have a letter suggestion to send to her via email?

... how do you suggest retrieving our treasurey documents and checkbook?

Start at the beginning.

"Ask."

• Make a phone call.

• Send an email.

Make sure that "hubby" was not in error in resigning for a spouse who actually did not plan on resigning at all.

It might all be a temporary blow up, forgotten by morning.

That is why you start by ASKING.

(I suggest starting with the basics: "Are you really, really resigning?")

At our regular meeting of our nonprofit organization the husband of our Trearurer with the treasurer sitting next to him hostily resigned for his wife. Besides the fact that her husband gave her resignation how do you suggest retrieving our treasurey documents and checkbook? Is there a set time period? Do you have a letter suggestion to send to her via email?

For starters, I concur with Mr. Goldsworthy that no resignation has yet been submitted, and the individual in question remains the Treasurer at this time. An officer may submit a resignation orally at a meeting or in writing to the Secretary or appointing power. No one else can resign on the officer's behalf - not even the officer's spouse. If and when the Treasurer accepts offers the resignation, and that resignation is accepted, then we can worry about getting the documents.

There is no set time period, although it should be done as soon as possible. I don't have any form letters prepared for this.

For starters, I concur with Mr. Goldsworthy that no resignation has yet been submitted, and the individual in question remains the Treasurer at this time. An officer may submit a resignation orally at a meeting or in writing to the Secretary or appointing power. No one else can resign on the officer's behalf - not even the officer's spouse. If and when the Treasurer accepts the resignation, and that resignation is accepted, then we can worry about getting the documents.

There is no set time period, although it should be done as soon as possible. I don't have any form letters prepared for this.

I think you meant "offers".

Archived