The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Staus of a motion after an invalid vote

Guest Kevin Pilla

I have situation where a motion to fund a youth trip was made and seconded correctly. However, after debate on the motion they moved to a vote and the motion was passed unanimously. After the meeting it was pointed out by a member that was not present for the vote that this was an "illegal" vote because it was in excess of the amount our bylaws allow to be voted on without carrying the motion to the next monthly meeting. This was correct. We are having a difficult time figuring out what the status of that motion is since the vote was invalid. Please assist!!! If you can direct me to a source as a point of reference I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you. May I ask, What is the best way to make a new motion and have it adopted in our next meeting in order to provide the funding for the trip since the trip will take place before our January meeting. I am rather new at this and we as a council are trying to do things the correct way and still obtain the best result for all.

I understand a new motion has to be made however that still leads us to having to wait until the Jan. meeting to vote on the standing motion because the amount exceeds that which our bylaws allow to be voted on with out carry over.

On another note if there is another motion that has been seconded and all that needs to be done is the amount changed, can that be done by an amendment to that motion and still voted on in the Dec. meeting

Thank you for your patience and assistance!!!

On another note if there is another motion that has been seconded and all that needs to be done is the amount changed, can that be done by an amendment to that motion and still voted on in the Dec. meeting

Since your bylaws apparently contain a requirement of previous notice (in a specified manner) for adoption of a motion to expend in excess of a designated amount, the answer to this question depends upon whether the motion to amend this new motion will be one to decrease or increase the proposed expenditure. If the former, I think you'll be fine. If the latter, and if the amount which the amendment proposes be expended exceeds the amount specified in the bylaws, I think you'll have a problem.

Archived