The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Forum Upgrade

Boss Lady

It looksl ike we have gotten behind in our version of the forum software. The software will be upgraded soon (they have not told me exactly when, but I believe it is coming very soon). I gather there will be some new features and changes to existing features. I hope they meet with everyone's approval!

thanks,

Olivia

2 hours ago, Gödel Fan said:

Everything looks totally different!  I'm completely lost!  By the way, has anyone seen Edgar Guest lately?

I'm with Go"del Fan.  Why eliminate post numbers?  (For example.)

2 hours ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

Maybe we could post tips on how to find everything.

Yeah, that's the way to deal with improvements:  figure out how to undo them.

But let's not prejudge the changes from the perspective of less than a day.  And let's certainly not address any dissatisfaction to oevans (how do you pronounce that??!?), she probably tried to bribe them not to, but at her pay grade, she would've had to mortgage her silver Porsche.

(BTW, who's Potsbie?  I can educated-guess who jstackpo is, but what kind of a last name is 7872?)

Wow, I did not realize that it was going to be such a huge change.

It looks like some people lost their pictures. I think if you had a login name and a screen name, you lost your screen name, but it looks like you can get it back. Clearly the entire look and feel is different. Hopefully all the features are still there, but you may have to go on an easter egg hunt to find them.

I already miss the post numbers...

Is there any point to saying I don't like the new format at all?? 

One tip:  I think I just figured out that when wanting to skip a line to start a new paragraph, hit the "enter" key only once, not twice, in order to avoid skipping two lines between paragraphs.  That's going to be a hard one for me to get used to!

Like Godel Fan, I'm wondering what happened to Mr. Mountcastle (aka Edgar Guest).  Does anybody know?  I sent him a private message a couple of weeks ago but did not receive a reply.  He seems to have suddenly disappeared.

btw, Potzbie is Kim Goldsworthy, if I recall correctly from years ago.

As I am reading previously unread (by me) posts, I notice now on the bottom right there is a button I can click to take me to the next unread topic. This is nice! Before, I would go back to the particular forum and pick the next topic (unless it was there before and I never noticed, but I don't think it was.) I figured I would just point out a feature in the upgrade that i think is nice. Also, my screen name and picture carried over no problem.

4 hours ago, 1stChurch said:

As I am reading previously unread (by me) posts, I notice now on the bottom right there is a button I can click to take me to the next unread topic. This is nice! Before, I would go back to the particular forum and pick the next topic (unless it was there before and I never noticed, but I don't think it was.) I figured I would just point out a feature in the upgrade that i think is nice. Also, my screen name and picture carried over no problem.

That has always been there. Not as a button, but as a link, in roughly the same place.  What is new is that just below that link, it tells you the title of the topic.

What is also new is that signatures seem to have vanished completely!

On 12/8/2015 at 9:28 PM, Hieu H. Huynh said:

Tip #1 - It looks like the system reset the display names. You could change it by going to the upper right-hand corner, clicking on your name, and selecting "Account Settings".

That's a good tip. Now, not having post numbers, let's see if it's possible to quote a post that has quotes.

12 hours ago, George Mervosh said:

There doesn't seem to be a link back to the regular http://robertsrules.com site which we often use to insert links to the FAQ's and OI's.........unless I'm just not finding it.

I don't see it either. I guess you'll have to make some more bookmarks or keep some more browser tabs open for yourself so you can continue pointing the newbies in the right direction. :)

Also, I think the pinned post for "IMPORTANT: Read this first (Information for new members and guests)" is still relevant and could be linked to.

Another good new feature is that there is now a link for "Start new topic" (next to the button for "Reply to this topic") at the top of every topic.

Apparently there is a "bug fix" upgrade, and I am requesting we get upgraded again. I did pass on the frustrations everyone seems to be having and asking them just to fix bugs and security vulnerabilities. No more "improvements" please! (The reality is that we pretty much have to stay at current versions because older versions become unsupported). Hopefully the "bug fix" upgrade is just that. I am not sure it is going to fix the things you all are talking about. It seems to be more about performance issues.

On 12/9/2015 at 11:20 AM, George Mervosh said:

The notification system isn't working consistently and I think I have all of the settings correct.  I was notified when Shmuel and Dan replied to posts I made but they quoted back.......notifications where someone has simply added to a thread I'm following aren't showing up.  

It's not working for me either. In the notifications settings screen, I see a line for "Someone comments on something I follow" and this option is turned off. If I try to turn it on, it says, "The administrator has disabled this option from being toggled."

Archived