The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who can be nominated for the BOD

Guest JAR

7 minutes ago, Guest JAR said:

Can an employee of a private club run for a position on the Board of Directors? It's not in the bylaws, but wouldn't it be a conflict of interest?

No rule in RONR would prohibit him from seeking office.  If your club members feel it's a problem, nominate and vote for someone else.

1 hour ago, Guest JAR said:

[...] wouldn't it be a conflict of interest?

A conflict-of-interest is not a bar to being nominated, nor being elected, under Robert's Rules of Order.

But, "Yes," -- to have an employee sit on a board which does the management -- would indeed trigger constant and innumerable conflicts of interest.

But that potential problem cannot prevent a voter from voting in favor of such a person. -- You are free to elect that person and live with those conflicts, if the voters so choose.

Can the employee run for office, yes.  Getting nominated may be a problem as the only way to volunteer for a position is to be a member of the organization and to nominate himself/herself.  Otherwise, either a member would have to nominate him/her, or the employee would have to hope for enough write-in votes (which is harder to do.)

Whether or not this is necessarily a good idea is another thing.  Although some organizations (generally not for profit, in my experience) will have a Board position entitled "Employee Representative" or some similar term.  Then again, those organizations are more likely to have rules in place to deal with the issue - as it is possible to have numerous "Conflicts of Interest" with such a position - although there are benefits too.  An employee may understand the problems employees are facing in a different way than another person.  An any good member would realize that employees are stakeholders in the organization.

10 hours ago, Guest JAR said:

Can an employee of a private club run for a position on the Board of Directors? It's not in the bylaws, but wouldn't it be a conflict of interest?

It depends what you mean by "run".  RONR does not define the term.  

If you mean can he tell people he'd like to be elected and asking them to nominate and vote for him, then I don't see why not.  There's nothing in RONR to prevent it.

I think it might be a bad idea to vote for him, but I'm not a member so it doesn't matter what I think.

49 minutes ago, g40 said:

Unless this is a very different type of private club that I usually think of, employees of such clubs would rarely be "members" of the club.

You may be correct, but as Mr. Mervosh has pointed out, unless the bylaws specifically require officers to be members, a non-member can be elected. Whether that is a good idea, or is likely to happen, is a different question entirely,

Yes, I will concede it's possible that a non-member can be elected.  RONR (11th ed.), p. 448, ll. 3-10 says:  "An office carries with it only the rights necessary for executing the duties of the office, and it does not deprive a member of the society of his rights as a member.  If a person holds an office in a society of which he is not a member and the bylaws make that officer an ex-officio member of the board, the nonmember is thereby a full-fledged board member with all the accompanying rights; but this does not make him a member of the society."

Archived