The Official RONR Q & A Forums

understanding vote results of elected officials

Guest Fire n Ice

When an elected group of commissioners and/or directors cast their vote is it the right of their represented body to know how that elected official cast their vote? This is in reference to the represented body understanding if the elected official is casting his vote in favor/ or against the represented body. 

Example, Director A through E are part of the body responsible for financial approvals. Reports of the director meetings simply state the vote was in favor or against in 3/2 or 2/3. How does the represented body know that their elected representative is voting in their favor over a period of time. Is this a rule associated with the method the secretary captures the vote, a rule that must be in the by-laws declaring how a vote will be documented or in the method of voting itself that is used by the directors?

Thank you for the help

There's a catch, however.  A roll call vote has to be ordered, majority vote, by the body that is doing the voting.  So that group of commissioners/directors could maintain their anonymity if they wish.

Solution?  Elect board members who pledge to vote openly and on a record, or check if some higher authority requires recorded votes.

5 hours ago, jstackpo said:

Solution?  Elect board members who pledge to vote openly and on a record, or check if some higher authority requires recorded votes.

I agree with Mr. Stackpole but with a twist:

• Have the 'represented body' adopt a rule, saying, "The elected representative shall report back to [the represented body] all votes on all main motions."

• Do NOT depend on a "pledge" by the individual. --

Get a full accounting.

• Enforce a rule.

• And penalize [e.g., remove from office] he who does not obey the reporting rule.

Add some teeth to the mere "wish".

Guest Fire N Ice:  Are you talking about a public body, such as a board of commissioners, school board, etc?  If so, your state's open meetings laws might control. Such laws generally require that all votes be in public, on the record, and often by roll call or electronic means so that the public knows how every member voted on every issue.

If you are talking about a body such as the board of directors of a society,  such as a non profit corporation, they you might consider amending the bylaws to require that all votes be record votes much like open meetings laws require.

I'm afraid that just leaving it up to the body itself to decide to make its votes public may not obtain the result you want.  If I'm guessing right, they already have the ability to do that.  However, you want to REQUIRE that they do that.  A pledge may or may not accomplish that result.  I agree with Potzbie that you might need a rule, rather than a pledge, to accomplish that result.

Archived