The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Renewal

Guest Steve Britton

Hi; I'm asking that one of the authors to respond. I'm currently working on a lesson concerning Renewal of Motions.  Page 338, starting on line 22, RONR states:

:"A motion to Reconsider that has been rejected cannot be renewed in connection with the same vote. To be able to be reconsidered a second time, the original question must have been materially amended during the first reconsideration—in which case the proposal to reconsider a second time is a new question."

Under the Standard Descriptive Characteristics # 8 for the motion to Reconsider p. 321, RONR states: Cannot be reconsidered. If it is voted on and lost, the motion to Reconsider cannot be renewed except by unanimous consent. By the same principle, no question can be reconsidered twice unless it was materially amended during its first reconsideration.

My assumption is the bolded statement in the latter citation is also applicable to the first citation. Is that correct?

I am not on the authorship team.

But it seems clear that page 338 is a page from Chapter X ("Renewal of Motions; Dilatory and Improper Motions"), Section 38 ("Renewal of Motions"), and will therefore have generic information; as opposed to the explicit Section 37 ("Reconsider") and the explicit Standard Descriptive Characteristic for that motion.

I wouldn't take (a.) a generic summary bullet-item's text, over (b.) the text of the exhaustive rules covering that specific motion.

The way I see it, with unanimous consent, you can suspend most any parliamentary rule. -- So I don't think all of RONR's generic bullet-item's text will include this nugget of information. -- Else, it wouldn't be a bullet item summary, but the full text. And that kind of defeats the purpose of bullet item "laundry lists". -- Speed of absorption, convenience, most-core principle or most-core practice.

8 hours ago, Guest Steve Britton said:

Hi; I'm asking that one of the authors to respond. I'm currently working on a lesson concerning Renewal of Motions.  Page 338, starting on line 22, RONR states:

:"A motion to Reconsider that has been rejected cannot be renewed in connection with the same vote. To be able to be reconsidered a second time, the original question must have been materially amended during the first reconsideration—in which case the proposal to reconsider a second time is a new question."

Under the Standard Descriptive Characteristics # 8 for the motion to Reconsider p. 321, RONR states: Cannot be reconsidered. If it is voted on and lost, the motion to Reconsider cannot be renewed except by unanimous consent. By the same principle, no question can be reconsidered twice unless it was materially amended during its first reconsideration.

My assumption is the bolded statement in the latter citation is also applicable to the first citation. Is that correct?

Yes. It is correct to say that, under the rules in RONR, a rejected motion to Reconsider cannot be renewed except by unanimous consent.

Archived