The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When do new officers take over after an election?

Guest thoughtofthis

If a new chairman is elected on a small board, but the presiding chairman will still be a member of the board, when does the transition happen? Our election will most likely be during a regular meeting with further agenda items - some of which may be handled differently by the new officers.

Just now, thoughtofthis said:

Thanks @George Mervosh @jstackpo! My Webster's New World copy must be a little too simplified on this subject.

That's because it's not an official version of Robert's Rules, and frankly it's just not that good.   See  http://www.robertsrules.com/book.html

43 minutes ago, Guest thoughtofthis said:

If a new chairman is elected on a small board, but the presiding chairman will still be a member of the board, when does the transition happen?

Our election will most likely be during a regular meeting with further agenda items - some of which may be handled differently by the new officers.

TIP: Your scenario is often the case in a convention or annual meeting.

It is typical that one's convention rules specify that the defined "term of office" begin/end at the "close of the convention", i.e., after adjournment ("to adjourn sine die").

That way, the transition never occurs in mid-convention, or worse, mid-meeting.

I recommend that you amend your rules likewise. -- As the cowboys say, "Don't change horses in mid-stream".

2 hours ago, jstackpo said:

But it is always fun to watch a newly elected chair come up and try to wrestle the gavel away from the (now former) chairman.  It can be the highlight of a meeting!

The newly elected chair and the former chair could also, by mutual agreement, have the current chairman continue to preside for the duration of the meeting - which in my experience, is what usually happens in organizations which fail to include the language Mr. Mervosh suggested in their bylaws. This is certainly less entertaining, but probably better for the smooth functioning of the meeting.

2 hours ago, thoughtofthis said:

Thanks @George Mervosh @jstackpo! My Webster's New World copy must be a little too simplified on this subject.

It's a little too simplified (or simply wrong) on a lot of subjects. I advise that you get rid of it and pick up copies of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised and Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief instead.

Archived