The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vice President

Guest John

1 minute ago, Guest John said:

If a 2/3 vote is required for a motion, and 14 members are present.  The vote occurs with 9 for, 4 against and one abstention... Did the vote carry and pass?  I have read that the abstention does not count?  Please advise.

Based on the facts provided, the vote should have passed. Whether it did pass depends on what the chair announced - it's too late to contest that announcement at this time.

It is correct that, in the ordinary case, an abstention has no effect on the result of a vote. See FAQ #6 for more information.

19 hours ago, Guest John said:

If a 2/3 vote is required for a motion, and 14 members are present.  The vote occurs with 9 for, 4 against and one abstention... Did the vote carry and pass?  I have read that the abstention does not count?  Please advise.

Yes, it should .  To pass a 2/3 vote, you need at least twice as many Yes votes as No votes.  So, in fact, a 8-4 vote would also meet the threshold.

Abstentions are ignored.  It makes no difference how many members are present, as long as the quorum requirement is met.

19 hours ago, Guest John said:

If a 2/3 vote is required for a motion,[...]

Please clarify the context.

Q. Are you referring to a parliamentary vote requirement from Robert's Rules of Order (like the motion, "Previous Question")?

Q. Are you referring to a customized rule of yours which is demanding two-thirds of a vote or two-thirds of a body?

I fear that you may be referring to a customized rule, and if so, then the customized rule might be worded in a way contrary to the default assumptions of Robert's Rules of Order.

You know, like:

(a.) "two-thirds vote of the board"

is not the same thing as

(b.) "two-thirds of the board".

which is not the same thing as

(c.) "two-thirds of the board members present"

Archived