The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Open Committee Meetings v. Closed

Guest Bill Arnold

Good afternoon ...

A local non profit I serve on is having a debate on the efficacy of barring all members of the association from attending committee meetings. In other words, all members of the association (except those appointed to the committee) would be unable to attend (unless specifically invited). This provision, if adopted, isn't the same as utilizing the call for an "executive session" ... it's a flat out "you're not welcome here" to all members of the association.

I'm wondering if Robert's Rules (which we've adopted) has anything to say about this?

Thank you.

Bill Arnold

Tucsonbil@cox.net

17 hours ago, Guest Bill Arnold said:

Good afternoon ...

A local non profit I serve on is having a debate on the efficacy of barring all members of the association from attending committee meetings. In other words, all members of the association (except those appointed to the committee) would be unable to attend (unless specifically invited). This provision, if adopted, isn't the same as utilizing the call for an "executive session" ... it's a flat out "you're not welcome here" to all members of the association.

I'm wondering if Robert's Rules (which we've adopted) has anything to say about this?

Thank you.

Bill Arnold

Tucsonbil@cox.net

There's no need to adopt anything.  That's already the rule.

1 hour ago, Gary Novosielski said:

There's no need to adopt anything.  That's already the rule.

No, it isn't. The rule is that only members of the committee have a right to attend meetings. This is not the same as a rule prohibiting attendance. So far as the rules in RONR are concerned, it is up to each committee to decide whether non-members shall or shall not be permitted to attend its meetings. If a particular committee wishes to let members of the society attend all of its meetings, except where the committee orders otherwise in a particular case, it is free to do so.

As I understand the original post, the society itself is discussing a rule which would outright prohibit non-members of a committee from attending any meetings of any committees, unless specifically invited. The society is within its rights to adopt such a rule if it wishes to do so, but this is not the same as the rule in RONR.

Archived