The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recording Motions Which are Temporarily Disposed of in the Minutes

Josh Martin

If a motion is temporarily disposed of, but is later finally disposed of during the same meeting, is it necessary to record the information regarding the temporary disposing of the motion in the minutes? For example, an assembly might postpone a motion until later in the same meeting, or it might lay a motion on the table, and the motion is later taken from the table during the same meeting. Would the minutes show the fact that the motion was postponed or tabled, or would it only show that it was adopted or lost?

1 hour ago, Josh Martin said:

If a motion is temporarily disposed of, but is later finally disposed of during the same meeting, is it necessary to record the information regarding the temporary disposing of the motion in the minutes? For example, an assembly might postpone a motion until later in the same meeting, or it might lay a motion on the table, and the motion is later taken from the table during the same meeting. Would the minutes show the fact that the motion was postponed or tabled, or would it only show that it was adopted or lost?

I think that they should be recorded in the minutes because if you don't it could make it look like the main motion was adopted before it really was.

2 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

Q. If a motion is temporarily disposed of, but is later finally disposed of during the same meeting, is it necessary to record the information regarding the temporary disposing of the motion in the minutes?

For example,

• an assembly might postpone a motion until later in the same meeting, or

• it might lay a motion on the table, and the motion is later taken from the table during the same meeting.

Q. Would the minutes show the fact that the motion was postponed or tabled, or would it only show that it was adopted or lost?

What does RONR say about what to include in minutes where secondary motions are involved?

[excerpt, RONR page 469-470, "Minutes"]

6) all main motions (10) or motions to bring a main question again before the assembly (pp. 74-79, and 34-37) that were made or taken up―except, normally, any that were withdrawn* ― stating:

a.) the wording in which each motion was adopted or otherwise disposed of (with the facts as to whether the motion may have been debated or amended beforedisposition being mentioned only parenthetically); and

b.) the disposition of the motion, including ― if it was temporarily disposed of (pp. 90-91, 340-41) ― any primary and secondary amendments and all adhering secondary motions that were then pending;

7) secondary motions that were not lost or withdrawn, in cases where it is necessary to record them for completeness or clarity―for example, motions to Recess or to Fix the Time to Which to Adjourn (among the privileged motions), or motions to Suspend the Rules or grant a Request to Be Excused from a Duty (among the incidental motions), generally only alluding to the adoption of such motions, however, as “ . . . the matter having been advanced in the agenda on motion of . . . ” or “ . . . a ballot vote having been ordered, the tellers . . . ”;

I think the example in #7 might be of insight, here.

"The matter having been advanced in the agenda on the motion of _____" -- implies that the item moved around a little from its original fixed point on the agenda.

So, why wouldn't your example be treated likewise?  -- i.e., the minutes should "allude" to the adoption of "such motions".

3 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

In general, I think that such information should be recorded.

In the sample minutes given in RONR (pp. 472-73), it is noted that the resolution relating to the use of the library by nonmembers was laid on the table (with a pending amendment), and then it is noted that it was taken from the table and adopted after amendment and further debate.

Notice also that in sample form (19) on page 565 of Parliamentary Law, the minutes record the adoption of a resolution, and then later they note that  the vote on adopting that resolution was reconsidered, the resolution was amended, and the resolution as thus amended was adopted again. But I suppose this is not a case of a motion's being temporarily disposed of and then later finally disposed of, but rather one of a motion's being finally disposed of and then later temporarily disposed of (and then finally disposed of). :)

3 hours ago, Shmuel Gerber said:

In general, I think that such information should be recorded.

In the sample minutes given in RONR (pp. 472-73), it is noted that the resolution relating to the use of the library by nonmembers was laid on the table (with a pending amendment), and then it is noted that it was taken from the table and adopted after amendment and further debate.

Notice also that in sample form (19) on page 565 of Parliamentary Law, the minutes record the adoption of a resolution, and then later they note that  the vote on adopting that resolution was reconsidered, the resolution was amended, and the resolution as thus amended was adopted again. But I suppose this is not a case of a motion's being temporarily disposed of and then later finally disposed of, but rather one of a motion's being finally disposed of and then later temporarily disposed of (and then finally disposed of). :)

I agree with this response, but I think it should be noted that, when a motion is both temporarily and finally disposed of during the same meeting, it quite often will not be necessary to record information regarding its temporary disposition in the minutes. If the question is whether the rule on page 469, lines 22-25, applies, I think the answer is no, it doesn't.  

Archived