The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is the parliamentarian counted in the quorum?

Guest Beverly Przybylski

Guest Beverly Przybylski

The PA is RONR. The parliamentarian serves an organization of which there is an annual meeting, board of directors meetings, and executive committee meetings, and is required to attend all of these. If elected as a delegate to the annual meeting, the parliamentarian may represent her local unit and vote by ballot, but otherwise is expected to remain silent/impartial during the business meetings. The parliamentarian is not a member of the executive committee or the board of directors and is not entitled to vote, even by ballot. The parliamentarian is counted just as any other delegate in the quorum for the annual meeting.

The question then, is the parliamentarian counted in the quorum for either the executive committee meetings or the board of directors meetings? I think not because the parliamentarian is there only because of that position and would not otherwise be a member of either. Thank you for your thoughts on this.

2 hours ago, Godelfan said:

Absolutely - maybe I went overboard on the sarcasm, and I apologize.  A better wording might have been a suggestion, if it has not already been done, to ask questions to the organization's retained Parliamentarian first.

Indeed.  My own view of parliamentarians and quorums, and I'm a lone wolf on this, is that a member serving as parliamentarian should not count toward a quorum unless the question before the assembly is to be voted on by ballot.  But that's NOT the rule, so that's that. :)

Yes.  I usually stay logged in, which causes me to forget my password.  Then when I got logged out and tried to log back in, I had to type my display name, but couldn't figure out how to type it with an umlatte, which made it impossible for me to log back in.  So I made a new account with a new email address and kept my display name typeable.

Archived