The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Wanted impeachment

Guest BKite

My fellow board members want me to resign my position as president as I haven't had as much time to spend as they do for after School fundraising and such. I have never missed the monthly school PTA meetings with parents and have been in attendance at every dance fundraiser we host (almost monthly). I was working and then I got pregnant and was put on bed rest for a month but got released early (2 weeks) only to find that they were having a meeting (they didn't expect me to attend) to replace me with one of the other officers. Since they have been threatening me with removal if I have an appointment port prior engagement. I feel alienated.

15 minutes ago, Guest BKite said:

My fellow board members want me to resign my position as president as I haven't had as much time to spend as they do for after School fundraising and such. I have never missed the monthly school PTA meetings with parents and have been in attendance at every dance fundraiser we host (almost monthly). I was working and then I got pregnant and was put on bed rest for a month but got released early (2 weeks) only to find that they were having a meeting (they didn't expect me to attend) to replace me with one of the other officers. Since they have been threatening me with removal if I have an appointment port prior engagement. I feel alienated.

Do your bylaws give the board the power to replace you?

31 minutes ago, Guest said:

I've read and re-read the bylaws and no where does it state reasons for dismissal of PTA officers.

You aren't answering our questions about the power of the board.  Do your bylaws say anything about the power of the board to remove officers or about the removal of officers in general?   Anything at all?  You've said the bylaws don't say anything about the "reasons" for dismissal, but we are asking whether the board has the power to remove officers.  Right now we aren't so concerned about the reasons as we are about who (which group), if anyone, has the POWER to remove officers.

Also, what do your bylaws say about the power of the board to act between meetings of the general membership?

Edited to add:  You might also tell us what your bylaws say about the terms of office.  Do officers serve a fixed term, such as "for one year", or do your bylaws contain additional wording such as "or until their successors are elected"?  Those additional words make a huge difference when it comes to removing officers.

2 hours ago, Guest said:

I've read and re-read the bylaws and no where does it state reasons for dismissal of PTA officers.

Who elected the President in the first place? The board or the general membership? If it's the board, they can remove you. If it's the membership, the board could only remove you if the bylaws specifically grant them that authority. Otherwise, only the membership can remove you. Additionally, if your bylaws are silent on the process for removal, see FAQ #20 for information on the process.

As for reasons, that also depends on what the bylaws say. If formal disciplinary procedures are required, officers may only be removed for cause - neglect of duty or misconduct. If formal disciplinary procedures are not required, officers may be removed for any reason.

2 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

Right now we aren't so concerned about the reasons as we are about who (which group), if anyone, has the POWER to remove officers.

Well, obviously someone has the power to remove officers. If the bylaws are silent, RONR has its own rules on the subject.

2 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

Also, what do your bylaws say about the power of the board to act between meetings of the general membership?

I don't think that's relevant here. If the board elected the President, then the board clearly has the power to remove the President (unless the bylaws provide otherwise). If the membership elected the President, then the board clearly does not have the power to remove the President (unless the bylaws provide otherwise).

Even if the board has "full power and authority" to act for the society between meetings of the society's membership, the board still may not take any action which conflicts with an action of the membership, and removing the President would conflict with the membership electing the President. See Official Interpretation 2006-12.

Archived