The Official RONR Q & A Forums

president

Guest Diane

19 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

Yes

Yes what? Yes, she can decline a nomination, or yes, she can decline to accept an office if elected to it?

I'm sure she can do the later, but I'm not sure she can do the former (although she certainly can make it plain she doesn't want people to vote for her for a particular office).

Well....(I disagree with what I think George answered):

There are two steps to this process:  First, nomination:

Once nominated, you can't un-nominate yourself, but you can announce to all and sundry that you will NOT accept a particular office if elected. (That might, or might not, discourage folks from voting for you.)  And you can be nominated and run for as many offices as folks wish to nominate you for, assuming no bylaws restrictions exist.  There is no requirement in RONR that you make an "If elected, I shall not serve" statement for any office, even though nominated for more than one. Run for them all, if you would like!

Then the election:

After the election, immediately after, that is, you can decline to accept any office that you didn't want to serve in, presuming, of course, that you won the election for that office.     So if you get the majority of votes for two offices, pick the one you would like to serve in, but not both.  See p. 440 for a bit more precision about election to multiple offices.

27 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Yes what? Yes, she can decline a nomination, or yes, she can decline to accept an office if elected to it?

I'm sure she can do the later, but I'm not sure she can do the former (although she certainly can make it plain she doesn't want people to vote for her for a particular office).

That's what I meant.......as our friend GcT says, sometimes  I need to type more.

9 hours ago, Guest Diane said:

If the nominating committee nominates you for one position, but you are nominated from the floor for another position you prefer can you then decline the one position and accept the one you want?

Nominations, as such, cannot be declined.  Also, there is no rule against being nominated for more than one office.

If you are nominated for multiple offices, and elected to more than one, you can decide at that point which one(s) to accept and which to decline. 

There are more details, but it would help to know whether all the offices are voted for on one combination ballot, or whether balloting occurs for one office at a time before proceeding to the next office.

On 2/16/2016 at 10:49 AM, Daniel H. Honemann said:

On 2/16/2016 at 10:54 AM, jstackpo said:

There are two steps to this process:  First, nomination:

Once nominated, you can't un-nominate yourself, but you can announce to all and sundry that you will NOT accept a particular office if elected. (That might, or might not, discourage folks from voting for you.)  And you can be nominated and run for as many offices as folks wish to nominate you for, assuming no bylaws restrictions exist.  There is no requirement in RONR that you make an "If elected, I shall not serve" statement for any office, even though nominated for more than one. Run for them all, if you would like!

Then the election:

After the election, immediately after, that is, you can decline to accept any office that you didn't want to serve in, presuming, of course, that you won the election for that office.     So if you get the majority of votes for two offices, pick the one you would like to serve in, but not both.  See p. 440 for a bit more precision about election to multiple offices.

But clearly there is also such a thing as consenting (or not) to one's candidacy in advance, because on page 444, RONR says, "An election to an office becomes final immediately if the candidate is present and does not decline, or if he is absent but has consented to his candidacy. If he is absent and has not consented to his candidacy, the election becomes final when he is notified of his election, provided that he does not immediately decline."

8 hours ago, Shmuel Gerber said:

But clearly there is also such a thing as consenting (or not) to one's candidacy in advance, because on page 444, RONR says, "An election to an office becomes final immediately if the candidate is present and does not decline, or if he is absent but has consented to his candidacy. If he is absent and has not consented to his candidacy, the election becomes final when he is notified of his election, provided that he does not immediately decline."

Yes, I agree. I just didn't want Guest Diane to get the impression that declining a nomination will somehow make it go away.

Archived