The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Secretary Vote

Mr. Conservation

I am the Secretary-Treasurer of a conservation club. At last night's meeting, some of the board members said, that I as secretary do not have a vote. For the last four years, I have made motions and seconds and voted. Now out of the blue they say that I can't. They also said that the previous Secretary-Treasurer did not vote, but I did a search of the minutes and found where he made motions and seconded many other motions over a 10-year span. Our by-laws do not specify whether or not the Secretary-Treasurer can or can't vote. Can a Secretary vote in Board of Director meeting?

Of course, presuming he/she is identified in the bylaws as a member of the Board.

I trust, however, that you are not claiming that you can vote twice, once as Sec. onece as Treas.  That would indeed be improper  --  one person, one vote is the rule, no matter how many official hats he wears.

A good rule of thumb for situations like this is to ask the person who is making "firm" (but seemingly unlikely) assertions about rules that, he says, are in RONR (or elsewhere) to actually show you the rule.  9 out of 10 times, he won't be able to because the rule just won't be there.

51 minutes ago, jstackpo said:
1 hour ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

If the bylaws do not specify the secretary as a member of the board, the secretary cannot vote at a board meeting.

Of course, presuming he/she is identified in the bylaws as a member of the Board.

I trust, however, that you are not claiming that you can vote twice, once as Sec. onece as Treas.  That would indeed be improper  --  one person, one vote is the rule, no matter how many official hats he wears.

A good rule of thumb for situations like this is to ask the person who is making "firm" (but seemingly unlikely) assertions about rules that, he says, are in RONR (or elsewhere) to actually show you the rule.  9 out of 10 times, he won't be able to because the rule just won't be there.

51 minutes ago, Hieu H. Huynh said:

If the bylaws do not specify the secretary as a member of the board, the secretary cannot vote at a board meeting.

The Secretay is listed right with the President, Vice President and Board members. So I would say that it speciies the secretary as a member of the Board.

Archived