The Official RONR Q & A Forums

On the panel for editing, I see there is an icon to change a font's SIZE and a font's COLOR, and a font's STRIKEOUT and SUPERSCRIPT and SUBSCRIPT.

But I do not see the icon to change the font typeface family - from sans serif (e.g., Helvetica or Arial) to serif (e.g., Times Roman or Courier).

Q. How do I change the font family?

7 hours ago, George Mervosh said:

You can't but if you  paste in from Word or some other program like it the fonts will transfer.  There are 3 on this line.

Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind for when it’s time to make people mad.

Of course, people who don't have the particular font in their computer won't see the same thing that the OP sees.

On 3/8/2016 at 10:44 AM, potzbie said:

On the panel for editing, I see there is an icon to change a font's SIZE and a font's COLOR, and a font's STRIKEOUT and SUPERSCRIPT and SUBSCRIPT.

Are you sure?  In the panel for editing, I no longer see the STRIKEOUT, SUPERSCRIPT or SUBSCRIPT options.   I think the size and color options are gone, too, but I'm not sure.  But, I know the strikeout option is gone.  The underline option is still there.

Either I'm missing  something  or Potzbie is seeing "things".   

So, what's the deal with the strikeout option in the edit panel?  Are we supposed to have it?  If so, how do I get it?  I sure don't have it now!   And I want it.  Badly. 

14 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

Are you sure?  In the panel for editing, I no longer see the STRIKEOUT, SUPERSCRIPT or SUBSCRIPT options.   I think the size and color options are gone, too, but I'm not sure.  But, I know the strikeout option is gone.  The underline option is still there.

In the panel I see:

I see bold.

I see italic.

I see underscore.

Then there is an icon for a LINK, a QUOTE, a CODE, a EMOTICON.

Then a vertical bar, then icons for BULLETS; NUMBERED LIST; ALIGN LEFT; ALIGN CENTER; ALIGN RIGHT.

There there is a vertical break.

I see strikeout.

I see superscript.

I see subscript.

You already know what the last two icons are, per my previous post.

3 minutes ago, Godelfan said:

I see all the things Mr. Potzbie sees, as well.

You see them when in EDIT mode???    As in when you come back in after making a post and click on "Edit" to edit the post?

I have it on my regular posting screen, but not when in "edit" mode.

Edited again to add:  I would have used stikeout to make that correction, but it wasn't available in edit mode.

23 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Why would one assume that everything will be done the same way, or look the same way, on all computers?

I used to have a computer that couldn't do anything, and now I have one that does everything but I have no idea how to take advantage of it.

Well, with your fancy new computer, can you come back in and edit your post above using the strikeout feature that we have when making an original post?

I can use strikeout all day long when making my original post, but the option simply is not there when going back later to edit the post once it has been posted.

I'm not  sure we are all talking about the same thing.   If the website offers that option in edit mode, as it used to, we should all be able to use it when on a regular desktop or laptop.   Some features might not be available on smartphones or tablets, but I'm using a computer.   If it's supposed to be there when in edit mode, then maybe I need a new computer.  :huh:

Thanks, Gary.   That helps.... or at least helps me to know that something is wrong somewhere.  I wasn't sure (and I'm still not sure)  that the other members were referring to the options when editing an original post or when editing a post after it has been posted by using the "edit" option.  It seems clear you made that strikeout in edit mode after having first posted your comment without the strikeouts. 

For some reason, when I am in "edit" mode to edit a post I have already posted, I do not have the strikeout option.  I have it when still working on my original post, (I have it right now), but if I post this comment and then come back to edit it I will not have the strikeout option.

So, for your computer gurus, does this sound like a website problem, a browser problem (I use Firefox) or a problem with my computer?   When in edit mode, I have only the first nine items on the edit "menu".  I don't have the next eight (ending with "size").  The last one I have when in edit mode is to "insert/remove numbered list".  There are no options after that.

This is strange.  And not right.  And it's something new with the "updated" forum.

On 3/16/2016 at 8:03 PM, Shmuel Gerber said:

I use Firefox, and the strikeout button appears when I edit a post. Have you tried restarting Firefox in "safe mode" (to disable add-ons) and testing it that way?

No, but I'll start trying that and different things.  I tried using Internet Explorer yesterday and that was a disaster.  Hardly anything worked.

Edited on 3/18 to add:  OK, I'm back in here this time trying Chrome on the off-chance that the Firefox that I have been using was the problem.  But, alas, I still do not have the strikeout option while in "edit mode".  

Maybe it's because the post I'm trying to edit was made using Firefox.  I'll try making a new post using Chrome and then come back in and try to edit it.  I don't  expect it to make any difference, but at this point I'll  try anything.  I've already tried rebooting my computer (something I've already done many, man times since the forum changes).

This is getting frustrating.

OK, on the off chance that using the Firefox browser is the problem, and based on Gary's post above that he uses Chrome, I'm making this post using Chrome.  I'm  going to post it and then come back to edit it and see if I have the strikeout option.

btw, I just tried using Chrome to edit a post that I originally made using Firefox.  I still did not have the strikeout option. It's the post two posts above this one.   (Will the moderators and powers that be PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE try to get post numbers back????)   Better yet, try to get this new format tossed completely and let us go back to the format we had before the "upgrade".   It darn sure isn't "improved"! 

Edited to try to use the strikeout feature.  I still don't have it.  I still have only the same options I have when using Firefox.  The "edit bar" or "option bar" or whatever it is called looks exactly the same with both browsers.  btw, both the original post and this edit were made using Chrome.

Suggestions, anyone?

Boss Lady, are you around??

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2016 at 9:34 AM, Richard Brown said:

Edited to try to use the strikeout feature.  I still don't have it.  I still have only the same options I have when using Firefox.  The "edit bar" or "option bar" or whatever it is called looks exactly the same with both browsers.  btw, both the original post and this edit were made using Chrome.

Suggestions, anyone?

Try zooming out (i.e., reducing the zoom percentage in the browser). Apparently if you make the buttons too big, the page decides there isn't enough room for all of them, so some disappear.

1 hour ago, Shmuel Gerber said:

Try zooming out (i.e., reducing the zoom percentage in the browser). Apparently if you make the buttons too big, the page decides there isn't enough room for all of them, so some disappear.

Bingo!!  Voila!!!  Hallelujah!!!  That worked!!!   Thank you,l Shmuel!!!!   How on earth did you arrive at that solution??

I usually use a "zoom" or enlarge setting of 150 percent to make it easier to read things,  I tried reducing it (actually, with Firefox, which I'm using at the moment, "zooming out") and that did the trick after a couple of reductions.

I'll check it out using Chrome and Internet Explorer, but I.E. seems to screw up the site so badly that I never use it here any more.

Edited to add:  I don't know why the zoom or enlarge factor makes a difference only when in Edit mode, but, what the heck!  I can use strikeout now in my edits!!

Archived