The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Timing for Document Review before Voting

NancySkiff

An officer of our Condo Association Board drafts a document, obtains agreement from the majority before the meeting, presents the document at the meeting and motions for a vote.  He knows it will pass because he has already determined who will second the motion and has secured the majority votes.  Currently, in less than 24 hours I must vote at a Board meeting on a document that I have NOT seen; let alone have time to review and complete my fudicary duty and due diligence as a Board member of the Association. 

Is there anything in Robert's Rules that says any documents or forms must be presented X number of days before a meeting?  

Nancy

17 minutes ago, NancySkiff said:

Is there anything in Robert's Rules that says any documents or forms must be presented X number of days before a meeting?  

No.  However, when speaking in debate you can point out that not everyone has had a chance to read and digest this document and move to postpone consideration until [insert length of time you think reasonable to accomplish this].  Hopefully their sense of fair play will get you the majority vote you need to postpone.  Unfortunately, if they want to plow ahead there is nothing you can do (under RONR) to stop them.

12 minutes ago, NancySkiff said:

An officer of our Condo Association Board drafts a document, obtains agreement from the majority before the meeting, presents the document at the meeting and motions for a vote.  He knows it will pass because he has already determined who will second the motion and has secured the majority votes.  Currently, in less than 24 hours I must vote at a Board meeting on a document that I have NOT seen; let alone have time to review and complete my fudicary duty and due diligence as a Board member of the Association. 

Nancy

No is the correct answer, but you have the right to have the document read when it is presented for adoption, and if it is debated or amended, it is your right that it be read again before you are asked to vote on it.

9 hours ago, NancySkiff said:

Nancy

That, in my opinion, is a rotten and dirty way of doing business. It sounds as though only some Board members are receiving this information and the documents. I presume such officers are elected - so perhaps work to elect officers who will play fair.

During the time required for debate on the motion to approve, do those who have not been given an opportunity to review such documents speak against the motion?

Has any member (such as yourself) made a motion that all Board members receive all information - and prohibit such "selective" information sharing?

Archived