The Official RONR Q & A Forums

RONR and the RNC

An article on the front page of this morning's Washington Times tells us that the RNC is considering using Robert's Rules of Order instead of "their 1,500-page rule book", which I gather refers to the Rules of the House of Representatives with Notes and Annotations.

Not a bad idea, of course, but I trust they understand that a number of convention standing rules may still come in handy.  :)

2 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

An article on the front page of this morning's Washington Times tells us that the RNC is considering using Robert's Rules of Order instead of "their 1,500-page rule book", which I gather refers to the Rules of the House of Representatives with Notes and Annotations.

Not a bad idea, of course, but I trust they understand that a number of convention standing rules may still come in handy.  :)

They seem to understand this, and you appear to be gathering correctly regarding the "1,500-page rule book." The rules of the Republican Party include a number of proposed convention standing rules, including the rule that the member of the committee on Standing Rules is concerned about.

Rule 30

"The Rules of the House of Representatives of the United States shall be the rules of the convention, except that the current authorized edition of Robert's Rules of Order: Newly Revised (“Robert's Rules of Order") shall be the rules for committees and subcommittees of the convention, insofar as they are applicable and not inconsistent with the rules herein set forth; provided, however, that the convention may adopt its own rules concerning the reading of committee reports and resolutions."

10 hours ago, Godelfan said:

So would the proposed change eliminate the current rule 40?  It seems to me that it would be a genius move if they could come up with a populist-sounding reason to jettison that rule.  

I don't think so. I suspect the other convention standing rules would remain intact as a result of this change, but no doubt there are other efforts at work to amend or eliminate Rule 40 (b), which requires a candidate to have the support of a majority of at least eight delegations in order to be nominated.

Archived