Joshua Katz

Unread threads

5 posts in this topic

Here's an interesting thing I've noticed.  Suppose I mark the site as read.  A post is then made, say, in Basic Discussion.  While there are unread posts (for me) in said thread, an admin moves it to Advanced Discussion.  I then read all posts in Basic, and all posts, including that one, in Advanced.  Basic Discussion will still show for me as having unread posts (that is, will be bold on the main page) but when I click to it, no posts will be shown as unread.  

Not complaining, I just find such anomalies interesting.  I like to think about how they arise - I guess something along the lines of code that says "label all unread posts - look for unread posts - if there are any, then say the forum has unread posts until the labeled posts are read?"

I've noticed that, too, Godelfan.   For that reason, i hate it when an administrator moves a thread.  it screws up my notifications and I keep thinking there is an unread post I can't find.

I've seen that too.  Apparently it's a newly introduced bug.  Once I'm sure there are no unread posts, clicking on Mark Site as Read gets rid of the spurious indication.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor