The Official RONR Q & A Forums

National and chapter bylaws confilction

josh

I am the parliamentarian and sergeant-at-arms for a local organization I am. The national organization changed the bylaws changing the name and rank of a postion and adding a new one; however, when I brought this up to my local chapter it was voted down. I was wondering if there was a why to change the local bylaws to conform to that of our national bylaws,

1 hour ago, josh said:

The national organization changed the bylaws changing the name and rank of a position and adding a new one; however, when I brought this up to my local chapter it was voted down.

I was wondering if there was a why to change the local bylaws to conform to that of our national bylaws,

It doesn't work that way.

Just because a superior organization makes internal changes to its bylaws, that by itself is not an automatic order from on-high to mandate that the inferior organizations instantly and automatically comply, in parallel.

The inferior organization, to maintain affiliation, only need to comply with "requisite points" (this is the technical term from Robert's Rules of Order).

The requisite points, typically, are few and far between. -- Things like (a.) pay the dues; (b.) inform the superior body of amendments to the bylaws; and the like.

Example:
Just because the international/national organization . . .

(a.) has a board of 16 members.

(b.) has a fiscal year of July to June.

(c.) holds a Christmas party annually.

(d.) performs a "financial review" instead of a true "audit".

. . . does not imply that each and every affiliate organization must do likewise -- unless those things are requisite points.

57 minutes ago, Kim Goldsworthy said:

It doesn't work that way.

Just because a superior organization makes internal changes to its bylaws, that by itself is not an automatic order from on-high to mandate that the inferior organizations instantly and automatically comply, in parallel.

The inferior organization, to maintain affiliation, only need to comply with "requisite points" (this is the technical term from Robert's Rules of Order).

The requisite points, typically, are few and far between. -- Things like (a.) pay the dues; (b.) inform the superior body of amendments to the bylaws; and the like.

Example:
Just because the international/national organization . . .

(a.) has a board of 16 members.

(b.) has a fiscal year of July to June.

(c.) holds a Christmas party annually.

(d.) performs a "financial review" instead of a true "audit".

. . . does not imply that each and every affiliate organization must do likewise -- unless those things are requisite points.

Now this is a response with which I can agree.  :)

Archived