The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reconsider- Where Previous Question -Carried

Guest D. Llama

An amendment is carried to a main motion . Previous question is  then   carried - followed by  a  recess. On return to order  , reconsider is proposed on the motion to amend- carried earlier on . Is the motion to reconsider in order given that previous question was carried ? Where is this specifically dealt with in RONR  . Thank-you .

D. Llama

I believe this would be a situation where the motion to reconsider can be made, but it cannot be taken up at that time. Since the motion to be reconsidered is the subsidiary motion to amend, this motion (to amend) would not be in order when a motion for the previous question is pending. This is covered on pp. 315-332, the section on the motion to reconsider. Given that there will be a decision on the main motion before the motion to reconsider can be taken up, I think the motion to reconsider will have to be recast to include the main motion as well as the amendment (p, 327, l. 31 - p. 328, l.12). This could be done as soon as the result of the vote on the main motion is announced.  Of course, unless this is in a committee meeting, the person making the motion to reconsider must have voted on the prevailing side on the amendment.

Thank-you Mr. Huynh -Do you agree with Mr. Lages . 

Thank-you Mr. Lages . You refer  to  "recast" - is that a permitted approach to this ? I clearly see the reference to pages 315-332 RONR - are you able to pin this down to a line ,or a few lines-  as to the  specific place(s) that allow for an authoritative, and focused in RONR, - response . Much Obliged

D. Llama 

6 hours ago, Guest D. Llama said:

An amendment is carried to a main motion . Previous question is  then   carried - followed by  a  recess. On return to order  , reconsider is proposed on the motion to amend- carried earlier on . Is the motion to reconsider in order given that previous question was carried ? Where is this specifically dealt with in RONR  . Thank-you .

D. Llama

4 hours ago, Guest said:

One further observation - previous question  in this situation - is/was  not "pending " - it was voted on and carried ,after the amendment, was carried .

thank-you

D.Llama

And then a recess was taken before the main motion was voted on, correct?

In that case, a motion to reconsider the amendment is in order, but it is not debatable. See page 320, lines 17-30: "When the motion proposed to be reconsidered is not debatable—either because of its nature or because it is subject to an unexhausted order for the Previous Question (16)—the motion to Reconsider is undebatable. Similarly, if the Previous Question is in effect on a pending question or series of questions, and if a motion which is proposed to be reconsidered adheres to these pending question(s) in such a way that the reconsideration must be taken up before the Previous Question is exhausted, both the motion to Reconsider and the motion to be reconsidered are undebatable—even if the latter motion was open to debate as its earlier consideration and the Previous Question was ordered later."

As I understand it, the series of events is as follows:

1. A main motion is introduced.

2. A motion to amend the main motion is adopted.

3. The previous question is ordered on the main motion.

4. A recess is taken.

5. A motion is made to reconsider the vote on the amendment which was adopted.

The first question asked is whether or not the motion to reconsider the vote on the motion to amend is in order given that the previous question has subsequently been ordered on the main motion, which means that a motion to amend the main motion would not be in order. I agree that the answer to this question is "yes, it is."

The second question asked is where is this specifically dealt with in RONR, and as best I can determine the answer to this question is "nowhere" (although the passages cited in the preceding responses clearly imply that the motion to reconsider would be in order). Maybe I'm missing something.

It’s interesting to note that in PL, on page 73, General Robert makes it very plain that it is in order to reconsider votes on amendments and other motions subsidiary to the main motion that were voted on before the previous question was ordered.

By the way, I think the fact that a recess intervened between ordering the previous question and the making of the motion to reconsider is irrelevant.

Thank-you Mr Honemann:

An even  more exact  response  -   much appreciated .  Your response is  that  - there is no specific  answer in RONR for this  inquiry -save by implication only.  If you are "missing something"  in this connection- perhaps Mr. Gerber can point out what that would be . Obliged .

D.Llama

1 hour ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

The second question asked is where is this specifically dealt with in RONR, and as best I can determine the answer to this question is "nowhere" (although the passages cited in the preceding responses clearly imply that the motion to reconsider would be in order). Maybe I'm missing something.

The next edition of RONR will most likely address this more specifically.

Earlier in this thread I stated that I thought this was a case where the motion to reconsider could be made but not considered at the time it was made. I based this on the following statements:  "With respect to its consideration, has only the the same rank as that of the motion to be reconsidered..." (p.318, l.4-5), and "If a motion to reconsider is made at a time when it can be taken up - that is, when the motion proposed to be reconsidered would be in order initially" (my emphasis)-... (p.322, l.15-18). In both of these cases, I assumed that, because an order for the previous question on the main motion was in effect, that a motion to amend would not be in order.

Now, however, I'm wondering if that is correct, based on the following statement: "In the case of subsidiary or incidental motions that adhere to a main motion, however, Reconsider can be applied only in such a way that the reconsideration takes place while the main motion to which they adhered is pending - either before the main motion is voted on or when it is being reconsidered at the same time." (p. 319, l.9-14). Does this statement imply that, in the situation described here, the motion to reconsider the amendment can not only be made, but also taken up immediately, despite the order for the previous question being in effect?

Or, is this a situation as described on p. 327, l.31- p. 328, l.8 - where the order for the previous question requires an immediate vote on the main motion, after which the reconsideration can be brought up, but will now include the main motion as well as the amendment?

On 3/31/2016 at 0:12 PM, Bruce Lages said:

Or, is this a situation as described on p. 327, l.31- p. 328, l.8 - where the order for the previous question requires an immediate vote on the main motion, after which the reconsideration can be brought up, but will now include the main motion as well as the amendment?

On 3/31/2016 at 2:07 PM, Daniel H. Honemann said:

In the factual situation described, the motion to reconsider the amendment is in order and should be taken up immediately.

Would you (or SG or anyone else who can) be kind enough to provide a factual situation where the passage Mr. Lages cites must be the prevailing rule to be followed?

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 0:12 PM, Bruce Lages said:

1 hour ago, George Mervosh said:

Would you (or SG or anyone else who can) be kind enough to provide a factual situation where the passage Mr. Lages cites must be the prevailing rule to be followed?

How about example c) on page 330.

34 minutes ago, Bruce Lages said:

If I could raise a variation on Mr. Mervosh's question: Under what conditions, if any, would an active order for the previous question on a main motion take precedence over bringing up the reconsideration of a subsidiary or incidental motion that was adhering to the main motion?

I'm afraid I can't cope with this because I'm not sure what is meant by an "active order for the previous question", or if by "bringing up" you mean "making" or "calling up" (or something else), but putting all that aside, I'll bet the answer to your question is "there aren't any."  :)

By 'active order for the previous question', I meant the motion for the previous question has been adopted but the vote on the main motion has not yet begun, and by 'bringing up' I did indeed mean calling up ('consideration of the motion to reconsider' just sounds really awkward). I suspected that was the answer - thanks for the confirmation.

The situation I was asking about was where the previous question has been ordered on the main motion, but the vote on the main motion has not yet begun. So the main motion has not been adopted (or rejected) at this point. I understand (I think) that a motion to reconsider the amendment could certainly be made at this time, but the question is can reconsider also be brought up at this time, i.e., before the main motion is voted on?

51 minutes ago, Bruce Lages said:

The situation I was asking about was where the previous question has been ordered on the main motion, but the vote on the main motion has not yet begun. So the main motion has not been adopted (or rejected) at this point. I understand (I think) that a motion to reconsider the amendment could certainly be made at this time, but the question is can reconsider also be brought up at this time, i.e., before the main motion is voted on?

I think the motion to reconsider will become the immediately pending question because, at the time when it is being made, no other motion that would take precedence over it is pending (RONR, 11th ed., p. 325, l. 33 to p. 326, l. 9).

Archived