The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Declining a previously accepted nomination.

Guest Granola Girl

Once someone has "accepted" a nomination for a board position, what is the correct procedure to later "decline" the nomination?  Is it appropriate to later decline the nomination to a current board member or is it required for them to decline in person at board meeting?

There is some dispute as to whether a person who has been nominated may decline the nomination or withdraw.  However, it is clear that such a person may let it be known that he does not wish to be considered or  elected.  If he is elected anyway, he can decline the election and decline to serve.  In that case, a new election is held for that position.  Also, a person who has withdrawn (or tried to withdraw), can still  be elected by means of write in votes. If that happens, he can either accept or decline the position.

2 hours ago, Guest Granola Girl said:

Once someone has "accepted" a nomination for a board position, what is the correct procedure to later "decline" the nomination? 

Q1.) Is it appropriate to later decline the nomination to a current board member?

Q2.) Is it required for them to decline in person at board meeting?

A1.) "To one sitting board member"? -- No. A single board member is not empowered to do anything about an incoming phone call or incoming email which says, "I changed my mind, and I no longer wish to have my name appear on a ballot."

A2.) Not necessarily. A written form is best (since telephone calls cannot be photocopied and distributed), sent to the organization -- which implies, to the secretary and/or to the president. In turn, I hope the secretary/president are conscientious about paperwork and do read aloud the incoming letter to the assembly at the next meeting, so that voters do not waste their vote voting for someone who will not serve. But there is no guarantee that this will be done.

As far as acceptance or declination of a nomination is concerned, RONR does say (on p. 434, 11th ed.) that "It is desirable policy for the nominating committee, before making its report, to contact each person whom it wishes to nominate, in order to obtain his acceptance of nomination—that is, his assurance that he will serve in the specified office if elected. The bylaws can make such a practice mandatory."

That's all.

Well, RONR does say this on page 425, which makes me believe that it is anticipated that nominees may indeed either decline the nomination or withdraw prior to the election:  "A nominating committee is automatically discharged when its report is formally presented to the assembly, although if one of the nominees withdraws before the election, the committee is revived and should meet immediately to agree upon another nomination if there is time."  (Emphasis added).

For that reason, I have not been one to say that a member cannot refuse a nomination or withdraw if nominated.  The statement above from RONR indicates that such refusal or withdrawal is indeed possible.

19 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

Well, RONR does say this on page 425, which makes me believe that it is anticipated that nominees may indeed either decline the nomination or withdraw prior to the election:  "A nominating committee is automatically discharged when its report is formally presented to the assembly, although if one of the nominees withdraws before the election, the committee is revived and should meet immediately to agree upon another nomination if there is time."  (Emphasis added).

For that reason, I have not been one to say that a member cannot refuse a nomination or withdraw if nominated.  The statement above from RONR indicates that such refusal or withdrawal is indeed possible.

This is simply a statement concerning what a nominating committee should do under the circumstances described if there is time. If there isn't sufficient time for the committee to meet again and amend its report, its nomination of the candidate who "withdraws" his name from nomination remains in full force and effect.

If a member nominates an eligible person, that eligible person will have been nominated no matter what he or she says about it.

16 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

If a member nominates an eligible person, that eligible person will have been nominated no matter what he or she says about it.

But the nominated member may withdraw, at least in cases where there is sufficient time for the nominating committee to meet again and amend its report, correct?

1 hour ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

48 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

But the nominated member may withdraw, at least in cases where there is sufficient time for the nominating committee to meet again and amend its report, correct?

We're getting a bit mixed up here. In this instance, there is no committee involved.

As I said, if a member nominates an eligible person, that eligible person will have been nominated no matter what he or she says about it.

On 4/12/2016 at 0:10 PM, Guest Granola Girl said:

Once someone has "accepted" a nomination for a board position, what is the correct procedure to later "decline" the nomination?  Is it appropriate to later decline the nomination to a current board member or is it required for them to decline in person at board meeting?

RONR has no provisions for either accepting or declining nominations.  Elections, on the other hand, may be declined--immediately, if the elected person is present at the meeting or, if not, upon being notified of having been elected.

Archived