The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Responding in the same thread

Guest Watson

I am still confused over what is meant my “posting a question in the same thread." Can you give me some guidance on how this is done? I  am new to this forum.  To be more specific, I normally ask a question by going to “General Discussion” and then click on “Start new topic” and then post my question and hit the “submit” button at the bottom of the page. If the responder asks me a question while responding with his/her answer, how do I answer return my answer in the same thread?  Do you mean in the title box use the same title and then respond? I have not a clue!

I see one box at the end of my post and it reads “Reply to this topic.” I assume that is the box that I use to respond in the same thread. This forum has been incredibly helpful to me and I have a good suggestion. Can your organization write a one or two page users manual on the features that are available in this forum that can be used for beginners like myself? That would be very useful and save you guys some heartburn. As a first example, I did not know what responding in the same thread means or how it is done. As a second example, I see that I can register (I have no clue as  to the pros and cons of me registering). I have read the FAQ and other things on the message board but if I decide to use this forum regularly there is must more that needs be explain.

Guest Watson, the biggest advantage of becoming a member of the forum is that you do not have to fool with those aggravating captchas every time you want to post.  Logging in is very easy for members.  When you log in as a member it is easy to tell if there have been new posts in a thread that you have posted in.  You don't have to search for them.  You can even be notified of responses by email if you select that option. 

Signing up is easy.  All the forum asks for is an email address and a forum name and for you to select a password.  You can use your real name or a fictitious name.  Most of our regular contributors use our real names.  Even if you register, you can still post questions anonymously as a guest.  It's just more difficult to post as a guest. :)

Agreeing with Mr. Brown, I also second your thought about a short Users Manual being helpful.  Absent one it will be just a matter of playing around with the system to figure things out (though you should become a member first so you can delete what you have done after playtime is over).  Another idea (which would require our forum guru when she checks in) is to create a "sandbox" where new members (or current members who want to maximize their ability to use the forum's features) can go to play around and see how things work.

Archived