The Official RONR Q & A Forums

RONR in the news

Bruce Lages

Another news story, this one more directly involving RONR. In our local paper a week or two ago was a story about the Republican convention rules. The conventions - or at least the last one - use the rules of order of the House of Representatives, which greatly concentrates power in the chair position. However, one Republican official, I believe from Oregon, was reported to be proposing to the rules committee a change in the rules to using RONR, in order to shift the bulk of the power from the chair to the delegates themselves. I wish I had saved the article to quote it in more detail, but this was certainly the major point. Should be an interesting situation, especially if the possibility of a contested convention materializes!

Well, it doesn't follow that it's not happening.  The RNC didn't recommend that the Rules Committee make the change, but the Rules Committee still can make that recommendation in its report.  Michael Steele, in a commentary that misstated large portions of RONR, raised a worthwhile point - an organization with so much infighting and a convention requiring tight scheduling would need well-crafted special rules of order to make RONR work, and there isn't time between now and June to draft them.  

• 3 weeks later...

Archived