The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election Policy Amemendment during election meeting

Guest My

This is an election year for our boosters. Six months ago we amended the bylaws in which the founding board members (who also drafted the original bylaws) were involved both prior to and during the amendment process. At no time did they express any desire to amend the election policy. Bylaws require the board to solicit candidates in March and  Any Member that wishes to serve in an Executive Board position must communicate to the Secretary their intention to do so by April 15. It clearly states that If a position has received at least one candidate by April 15 no more candidates will be accepted after this date for this position. Guess what? The former Exec Vice President (also one of the founding members and author of the bylaws, submitted his name with his intent to run, however he would not reveal which office he was seeking. He finally notified us on at the deadline that he would be running against the incumbent. We did offer another open board position, but he declined. The incumbent, is doing a very good job, and decides to allow the election process continue and accept whatever election results unfolds.Tonight, the former Exec Vice President wants to submit an agenda item to amend the bylaws, specifically the election policy ( at our last general meeting which is the election meeting) following is his amendment proposal: Candidates for Executive Board positions may be nominated at the General Boosters Meeting, even if they have not previously communicated an intention to do so. Nominations for each Executive Board position will be accepted at the General Boosters Meeting, immediately before the election for that position. I am quite baffled at the timing of his amendment request. Not only is this the last general meeting, we also need to vote on some big purchases, vote on next yr's budget and the election. NOTE all other board positions will be confirmed, the Exec. VP is the only position which received a an intent to run. I am the current President returning, unopposed and would rather not have to work with someone so calculating. 1. I believe his amendment proposal will do more harm to our Booster group than good. 2. Since this is an election meeting, can we to follow current bylaws in regards to the election process.

I believe this answers your question, but if it doesn't, let us know:

"An amendment to the bylaws goes into effect immediately upon its adoption unless the motion to adopt specifies another time for its becoming effective, or the assembly has set such a time by a previously adopted motion. While the amendment is pending, a motion can be made to amend the enacting words of the motion to amend by adding a clause such as this: ". . . with the proviso that [or, ". . . provided, however, that"] this amendment shall not go into effect until after the close of this annual meeting." Or, while the amendment is pending, an incidental motion can be adopted that, in the event of the amendment's adoption, it shall not take effect until a specified time. Either method requires only a majority vote."   (RONR, 11th ed., p. 597)

Archived