The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting Minutes

Guest SJMC95

Can a Secretary submit meeting minutes to the chair for review and comment (not approval) while in draft form prior to distributing to the board? Also I requested the attendance list which is in the chair's possession to include in the minutes (as we always do) and complete the draft for circulation. I was informed that all changes must be made at the general meeting and chair will not provide give me the list of attendees to complete the draft of the minutes. How do I proceed in distributing the minutes to the board in advance of the meeting knowing that the attendance list is not complete?

Prior to approval, the "minutes" are just the secretary's notes.  They can be changed as much as you want, since they're yours, unless you have some special rules regarding their distribution prior to the next meeting.  As such, I don't see any reason you can't show them to the chair and ask for comments "is this how you remember the wording of this motion?" and then change your draft if you wish.  At the next meeting, they will, presumably, be approved, at which point you will not be able to change them without a motion to amend something previously adopted.  While they are pending, amendments can be made.

And as far as the attendance list goes, RONR does not require one, so "as we always do" is presumably based on tradition or some special rules of your association.  If the latter, show the rules to the president, an remind him that he is (presumably) supposed to give it to you (if that is what the rule says).  If there is no rule, just let it go, or write one for adoption at the next meeting.

But be careful what you wish (or rule) for: 

How do you define and track "attendance"?  Showing up?  On time?  (How late is OK?)  Staying awake for the entire meeting?  Not leaving early?  How "early” is too early? Signing in?  How do you tell if someone signs in another person's name?  Or neglects to sign in but is there anyway?  How do you track all this?  (And why do you care?)

RONR has no "attendance" requirements, thus avoiding all these questions, and many others.

Archived