The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Third Edition 1893

Keokani Marciel

10 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

I'm afraid I have no idea, but I am curious as to why this is something you need to know.

Thank you for the reply. On March 4th, 1893, the Hawaiian Patriotic League, founded by Hawaiian Kingdom legislators, formally adopted its constitution as an Association. The structure and format of that constitution is very similar to the sample bylaws in RONR (11th ed.), which leads to the hypothesis that they were using one of the first three editions of Robert's Rules of Order to help them draft that document. By knowing the point in 1893 that the Third Edition of Robert's Rules was published, it could help narrow down that hypothesis. I'm a student of both Parliamentary Procedure and of that era in Hawaiian history.

Unfortunately, the third edition (at least my copy) does not have a set of sample bylaws. so that may be a dead end.

It does have a sketchy outline of headings for bylaws and a few pages of discussion, but no text as such.

Near as I can tell, a sample text bylaws first appeared in the 1970 (7th) edition, the first of the "RO Newly Revised" series and (I didn't make a line by line comparison) have been apparently unchanged since then.

4 minutes ago, keokani said:

Do the first three editions refer to "Parliamentary Procedure" as "Parliamentary Usage"? I'm curious to know if the term has evolved that way? Is there a way to view or obtain copies of those first three editions?

I don't think I'm going to spend any time trying to determine if the first three editions refer to "Parliamentary Procedure" as "Parliamentary Usage", and there are ways to obtain copies of the first three editions. To begin with, I suppose NAP will sell you a copy of the first (not an original, of course).  :)

29 minutes ago, keokani said:

Do the first three editions refer to "Parliamentary Procedure" as "Parliamentary Usage"? I'm curious to know if the term has evolved that way? Is there a way to view or obtain copies of those first three editions?

Since these editions are in the public domain, they could be downloaded from the Internet. Search for them using their formal title, "Pocket Manual of Rules of Order for Deliberative Assemblies".

23 minutes ago, keokani said:

I have a reprint of the 3rd edition, and it does not include sample bylaws.  I also checked an online reprint of Cushing's Manual  (1845) and they didn't either.    You might wish to look at this bibliography of pre-1925 parliamentary manuals:   http://www.jimslaughter.com/Parliamentary-Procedure-Books-Pre1925-American.cfm

I also suggest that you look a some of the constitutions of Masonic Lodges and Grand Lodges.  If memory serves me correctly, at least two members of the royal family were Freemasons.

Archived